quick question about logic board replacement at apple store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weemanpow3, Sep 2, 2008.

1. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I have been getting graphic glitches and artifacting on my MBP also it gets very hot and now im going to use the warrenty and get the logic board replaced in the next couple of days. Do I have to bring all the original packaging in? Also I upgraded the hardrive and ram what do I do about these?
    Thanks

2. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Use the warranty? Replacing the HDD on a MBP voids the warranty...

3. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

4. rogair macrumors member

Apple might blame your install job on the video issues, so take your HD out and replace it with the original before taking it in. Your warranty is not void unless you damage something while working on the machine.

5. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

You can, but if they see any evidence that the case has been opened, it will likely void your warranty. You can't do any physical changes to the machine if it needs to be opened without a void.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

replace the HDD and RAM with the stock parts. Then bring the computer to the apple store. no packaging required.

they may blame you for zapping the logic board while you were installing RAM/HDD etc. Even though they're not necessarily directly related.

7. RealaT macrumors regular

When I returned my MBP for replacement logic board I replaced the original HDD but left my thrid party RAM fitted since I don't have the original.

The guy on the telephone had a little whine about the ram, but nobody seemed to notice (or care) that I had quite swapped the HDD at some point. It would have been pretty easy to tell it had been swapped but I still got the board replaced no problems.