Quick question about Mac Mini RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Krafty, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright, I just ordered a base Mac Mini. I plano n upgrading the RAM and HD. However, the RAM I have maxed out in my 1st gen MacBook is DDR2, and noticed the Mac Mini uses DDR3. Right now, it takes about a minute-1.5 minutes for my MacBook to close Photoshop, so I wanted to get more RAM.

I dont know if this will sound stupid, but could we say the 2GB DDR3 is equivalent to 4GB DDR2 or....?

Also, what type of RAM would I need to order to upgrade it? (Theres 200 pin, 210 pin, etc.. but Apples site doesnt specify).

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

204pin ddr3-1066 SO-DIMM. I would go for the full 4GB. Not worth opening up the mini just for 2GB, IMO.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

No, I wouldn't say 2GB of DDR3 is equivalent to 4GB DDR2.

And for your Mac Mini: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3

4. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

$64.....Jeez, but its college, its now or never.

Anyways, I planned to take the current RAM & HD inside it and sell it those after upgrading.

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

$65 is a steal for the memory, 4GB of RAM used to cost an arm and a leg so don't get upset about that.

For what its worth, you won't get much of anything for the RAM inside the Mini. 1GB stick is basically worthless. Maybe $10, and thats a big maybe (because if you notice on Macsales.com they sell 1GB sticks for $9.50, new). Just keep it incase a stick you put in dies along the way and needs to get returned.

As for the hard drive, I say keep that too, but thats just me. For ~$15 you can get a 2.5" SATA external enclosure, so you can easily turn that 120GB stock drive into an external hard drive (thats what I did). That way you also have an extra drive incase the drive you put in dies. I have learned its best to have spare parts to protect you if you need your system and a part dies.

6. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I got the 2x1Gb sticks inside my Mac for $20, so yes, as far as money goes it doesnt bring joy to my heart to fork out $40 more on top. Sorry for worry about my financial issues, but I'm just understanding this stuff, sheesh...

The reason is just as long as I get all the money I can, after upgrading the HD twice in my MacBook i was able to sell both for $40 and $35. I have a 500GB WD Passport, but I guess I could hold onto the RAM at the least.

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty