Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Katin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I use to have an iPhone with the Unlimited Data Plan and recently I broke my iPhone and now use a cheap Nokia Go-Phone for the last month. Both of my parents and sister already have iPhones w/ the Unlimited Data plan. My question is, when I purchase the new iPhone (After June 7th) is it possible to transfer one of their Gran-fathered Unlimited Data plan to my new iPhone and have them drop to the 200MB plan?

Thanking you in advance

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Not happening at all. If you want unlimited then it's MUST be done before June 7th otherwise it's a wrap.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have a blackberry bold with AT&T and will be upgrading to the new iphone in August. Do you think AT&T will transfer the unlimited data plan to the new iphone?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
No, it's a different plan.

Just found this on FaceBook for AT&T. So it seems they will honor the unlimited data plan for any smartphone.

"We have thought long and hard about how to come up with a data pricing structure that serves the largest number of people and brings the benefits of the mobile broadband revolution to those who have been, until now, unable to afford it. Here's where we started: 98% of our customers use less than 2GBs of data a month on average...and yet the traditional “one size fits all” pricing model has been that EVERYBODY pays for the ability to consume much more than what the vast majority of our customers typically use. Day after day we listen to you guys tell us that smartphone plans are too high and that you want to be able to get the best phones at a lower monthly price. We've looked at all kinds of options and where we've landed is a usage-based pricing system for new smartphone customers that can lower the price for smartphone use. So here's the deal: if you are a current smartphone customer you're not required to switch to one of the new plans. However, if you'd like a data plan more tailored to your needs, you can switch to one of the two new plans we're introducing."

And this from PhoneScoop:

"As far as existing customers' options are concerned, AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom explained, "Existing customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. They are also not required to switch to the new plans if they renew their contract or switch to another smartphone. However, if they switch to one of the new plans, they will not be able to go back to their old unlimited plan." All plans include unlimited usage at AT&T's Wi-Fi hotspots."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.