Quick question about new MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scrubs3700, Apr 14, 2008.

1. scrubs3700 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I have been reading this forum for the last couple months leading up to getting my first mac, it has definitely opened up my eyes and convinced me to never return to p.c. I had a quick question about my itunes library that I have on my p.c. that is roughly 5,000 songs and I wanted to transfer it to my MBP using a program that I could just do it over the internet. Do you guys have any recommendations of the best and fastest way to do this? People have told me to use a flash drive, but with the amount of songs I have it would take me way too long to do...Any feedback would be appreciated :apple:

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Personally i'd just transfer via an external disk. Just set the library on your PC to the EXT and then do the same under your mac, then transfer to the internal.

3. steinlager macrumors regular

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. I think it's the best way to transfer a large amount of files at once. If you get an external with FW400 or 800, then transfer's should take no longer than 5-10 minutes with your amount of music files.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Better yet, do as I did: Get a Firewire to Firewire cable and connect the two laptops directly, then use the Migration assistant in utilities.

5. steinlager macrumors regular

Wow I didn't even know you could do that. Thanks :D

6. scrubs3700 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I didn't know that either, I appreciate the help....

7. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Also, if you want to save play counts and ratings that you currently have on you pc, save these two iTunes files to your external and then drag them in to your music folder/iTunes on your Mac. When your asked if you want to replace the files say yes. Basically, these two little files are what store all of you ratings, play counts, play lists and tags.

Attached Files:

8. scrubs3700 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll defintely do that...I appreciate all the help

9. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Would the iTunes files from a PC work on a Macintosh?

10. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I switched from pc to Mac using Tiger and it worked no problem. I am assuming it will work in Leopard as well.