quick question about playcount with ipod and itunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dave.h.3g, Mar 2, 2009.

1. dave.h.3g macrumors member

well i have a "not heard" playlist in itunes that has all of the music that i havent listened to yet. however i listen to my ipod a lot, and was wondering if there was some way that my playcount on itunes could be updated according to what i listen to on my ipod as well as what i play on my laptop. my friend has a 5th gen ipod and says that his itunes playcount is always updated when he plugs in his ipod..

can anyone help? thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah, every time you listen to a song on your iPod, it will add that to the play count next time you sync your iPod with iTunes. The song has to play entirely though -- you can't skip to a different song at any point while it's playing, or it won't register.

3. dave.h.3g thread starter macrumors member

i was pretty sure that wasnt doing it, but im gonna double check

ok so that does work thanks, i dont know i have an ipod hookup to my alpine hu in my car and i dont think that alters the playcount..

4. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Does this only work if you sync your iPod with iTunes? I manually manage my music on my iPod so I don't ever sync it with iTunes. I don't think my play count is changing in iTunes when I plug my iPod in.

5. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I keep my old iPod in my car connected to an Apline HU. Just plugged it in to check for you, and it has updated all the play counts!

6. Aeroplane macrumors member

I also mange the music manually and the ipod play count does not change the itunes play count, why is this?

i think i found a solution for this, I'm using last.fm and itunes scrobbler and when i sync my ipod the play count goes into my last.fm account play count, there's a script that grabs your play count from last.fm and puts it into the itunes play count...has anyone here used it?!?!?!?!?!? I want to know if it works well and if any harm can be undone...haha i don't want to mess with my seven month play count since i started using itunes, but my last.fm account is much older since the days i used windows media or media monkey and i would love for itunes to have all that old play count...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: