Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Is your credit card (or debit card) charged right away when you pre-order or is it charged the day the phone is shipped? Thanks!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Is your credit card (or debit card) charged right away when you pre-order or is it charged the day the phone is shipped? Thanks!

I believe it is charged when the iPhone ships (if my memory serves me correctly). However if I am wrong, then someone will be along to correct me.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
They might go in and put a hold on the account but they do not charge it until they ship.

Holds are not a big deal for credit cards but they can be a huge deal for check cards.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
They put a temporary hold on the account then it charges when it ships. Debit cards will automatically remove funds from the checking account though even if it is on hold.

z3r0inc

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
A hold? As in: "You cannot charge anything else to this account until we remove the hold" ????

Please educate me on this :D I might have to use my credit card account that I only use for emergencies for the preorder.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
A hold? As in: "You cannot charge anything else to this account until we remove the hold" ????

Please educate me on this :D I might have to use my credit card account that I only use for emergencies for the preorder.

It's called a "Preauthorization". It means that the total amount is "Reserved" from your credit limit, i.e. if your limit is $1,000 and there is a preauthorization for $250, then you can only spend an additional $750 - even though you haven't actually been "charged" yet.

For a credit card, the good news is that it doesn't actually hit your statement until the final charge is issued (or "Captured"). So you don't have to worry about interest, etc.

For a debit card, the bad news is that once it's preauthorized, those funds are basically locked out of your checking account immediately. Apple doesn't get the money yet, but you don't have access to it either. The money is still in your account (e.g. if you have interest checking, you'll still get interest on it) but you can't access it. From your perspective, it behaves as though it were charged immediately.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Yup, Sean got it spot on. Just make sure you have more money than the preorder whether or not it is a credit or check card. You don't want those overdraft fees on your checking account.

z3r0inc

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Yeah, I was just worried that I couldnt buy lunch with my main account for a week :D Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.