Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsn00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hey,

I intend to order a 27" i7 iMac soon and when I do intend to get the 4gb version with the intension of upgrading to the full 16gb for my video editing.

I've read how it's advised to use paired Ram so I was going to buy 4x4gb of Crucial/Kingston or whatever.

Before I do I just thought I'd check - is it fine to completely 100% change the Ram in the iMac? The process looks pretty simple and therefore in my plan I'll be putting in a fresh 4x4gb modules all of the same genesis. But before I do I just thought I'd check it's fine to have all new ram in the machine.

Cheers!

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Sigh.

I just did.

Step 1:
Order 16 GB of ram from NewEgg

Step 2:
Wait for ram to arrive.

Step 3:
Once received power down the Mac and remove all old ram sticks and set aside.

Step 4:
Install 16 GB of ram you received.

Step 5:
Boot - verify proper operation.

Step 6:
If there is someone in your house who has an iMac put the old ram in their machine so they get a boost too (my wife went from 4 GB to 12 GB on her Core2 3.06 iMac).

SkippyScud

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
USA
You should be fine with your planned method. I swapped it all out. Others have added to the RAM the system comes with. Just use pairs. So the 2x2GB sticks that are in there can stay and you can toss in 2x4GB or 2x8GB to add to it. Brand doesn't matter so much as speed of the memory. Plenty of threads here to help guide you to the correct RAM or go to Crucial.com and their memory finder tool and use that as a guideline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.