Quick question about re-downloading Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by karansaraf, Aug 6, 2011.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

I installed Lion a while back but then reverted to a clean install of SL because like many others I wasn't happy with the .0 release.

My plan is to burn Lion into a bootable DVD and wait until a better update is available before clean installing Lion (rather than upgrading like I did last time).

I have read a tutorial about how to make this bootable DVD, however I have one questions.

I already downloaded Lion from the App store but obviously the file isn't on my computer anymore.

When I go back to the Lion page in the App Store, the button just says "install" and when you click it, it starts to download it.

What I want to know is, will it start to install Lion as soon as the download is finished, or will it just download the dmg onto my desktop? Because all I need is the dmg file so that I can burn the boot DVD, rather than an auto install once the download is finished.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

try hitting command or ctrl when you try to download it

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Here's how to do it:
    Step 1 Open the Mac App Store.
    Step 2 Navigate to your "Purchased" Page
    Step 3 Hold down the "option"-key (alt) on your keyboard and click on your "OS X Lion" purchase (not on the "installed" button).
    Step 4 You see the Lion product page. It should say "Installed", but that button is clickable. Hold down the "option"-key again and click on installed. If you don't hold the option key it will tell you there's already a newer version installed.
    Step 5 Enter your login credentials.
    Step 6 Download.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110723125458661#comments

4. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

thanks i could not remember the right keys you had to press to get it to redownload

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

OP would have figured it out :)
    Us Mac users just use the modifier keys until we get the result we want.

6. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for the help.

One final question - where will the downloaded file be located after download is complete? And it won't start installing automatically will it?

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

it goes into your applications folder

its starts the installer after downloading but you can just quit it, you need to tell it to continue installatin