quick question about recalibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Losttiger, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Losttiger macrumors newbie

so i have a mbp that my mom got about a year ago and i dont think she knew about the recalibration or whatever, but im going to try it now. with istatpro it says i have 79% with 108 cycles. im currently charging the mbp to full and then leaving it plugged in the AC adapter for another 2 hours then draining it. unfortunately i have school so can i let part of the draining period in sleep mode while im asleep and then when i wake up ill be able to use it to drain it fully and then leave it drained for 5+ hours while im at school before coming home and finishing up the recalibration by charging it again? i hope i didnt word it too complicatedly thanks.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Is it still under warranty? If yes, bring it to apple and they will replace the battery for free.

Calibration is usually not needed on the newer Macbooks, but you can give it a try if you suspect that the reading is wrong.

Just run some benchmarking or video encoding software and you can drain the battery in 30 minutes.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. Losttiger thread starter macrumors newbie

now its at an all time low of 72% with 112 cycles..in the past week it has been up to 84% at its highest and 72% at the lowest...

5. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

i would recalibrate the battery if that doesn't work then i would go to the apple store and get them to try and fix the issue.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read post #3.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) fluctuates up and down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Battery FAQ.

7. Losttiger thread starter macrumors newbie

i plan on bringing it to the store tomorrow because when i click the battery icon at the top right hand corner, it says service battery and im assuming that means somethings wrong.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't mention that before. Yes, take it to Apple.