Quick question about SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Arkanok, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok so I thought that the pricing for Snow Leopard was brilliant, I mean $29 for the upgrade is a stellar price, but my question is, does this mean that every time (which isn't often anyways) I wanna re-install SL, I'll have to install Leopard first, then Snow Leopard?

Kinda sucks if that's the case, but I guess you can't beat $29.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No one knows. Apple hasnt announced anything to do with that yet.

Honestly, I doubt it. I think everything will be on the one disc. I think the discount is for the fact that to the average user that doesn't understand a lot about SL's technologies they'll feel ripped off because it practically looks like Leopard. For users coming from Tiger they'll be getting many, many new features and a rather different user interface - basically it'll be a massive upgrade for both the looks, use AND the "under the hood" stuff; for Leopard users the only major update will be the "under the hood" stuff which, as I said above, most users won't understand and will therefore feel ripped off over.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't think so. I also got the Leopard upgrade when it came out and the DVD includes the complete OS.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Really? So then what's really stopping every single person who purchases Snow Leopard -- including Tiger users -- from buying the upgrade one for $29 over the standard for $129?

If it does install fully, that's awesome.

EDIT: And maybe I'm wrong, but I also don't remember Leopard (10.5) having an upgrade version? I could be mistaken but I remember there only being the one version of it for $129... ?

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I think the OP was more referring to the fact that Apple's giving the discount to Leopard users only - the phrasing makes it seem as if Leopard is a necessity to install it. But as both me and you said, it's doubtful that that's the case - it seems more for the fact that 'normal' users won't see much difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard, whilst users coming from Tiger will see a huge difference in the features and UI...seems more like Apple trying to set themselves up so they don't get complaints about ripping people off, just because buyers don't understand all the performance increases that they'll get from it. :)

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

People who bought a new Mac less than 14 days befre the release of Leopard were entitled for an upgrade version for 10$ or something.

And they will probably just check if Leopard is installed on the drive or not.

7. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah you're correct when you mention that I was wondering how they'd determine who needs just the upgrade and who needs the full, but I'm really curious as to how (assuming that the upgrade installs the whole OS even without Leopard) they'd stop Tiger users from buying the upgrade instead of the full release.

Either way, I'm very excited for SL and can't wait for it to come out!

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I completely agree - I'm curious about this too. Apple will announce how they'll handle this though - that I'm sure of. I know they have a plan.

9. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, if that's the case, then that would mean that you'd have to have Leopard installed prior to installing SL.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll all find out closer to its release.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's not hard.

If you have 10.5 installed, and you boot from the 10.6 DVD, it sees you're running 10.5 and gives you the normal options: Upgrade, Archive or Erase.

If you have 10.6 installed, and you boot from the 10.6 DVD, it sees you're running 10.6 and gives you two options: Archive or Erase.

11. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

That actually makes complete sense lol. I wonder why I never thought of that.

Thanks dude.

12. edcrosay macrumors member

edcrosay

The following is not fact, just my prediction:

It will based on the honor system, just how family packs are now.

If you are using Leopard you pay $29 for the full copy.
    If you are one of the few people using Intel Tiger, then you should pay full price, but there will be no restrictions stopping you from using the $29 copy, besides your own guilt.

No upgrade nonsense, no checking to see if 10.5 is installed. Just the full OS on a disc for $29.

13. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

That would be ideal, and for any other company that makes operating systems (I'm looking at you M$) I would say you're crazy, but Leopard (and I assume previous versions) don't have serials or anything either. So really, I guess the honor system like you said does go into effect on family packs since the normal Leopard disk for 129 would allow you to install on as many systems as you please with no checking.

Gotta love it.

14. RKpro macrumors 6502

If it won't check for 10.5, then it's a sweet deal for those people hackingtoshing netbooks.
    $350 netbook +$29 OS = semi-legal apple netbook.

15. live4ever macrumors 6502a

It might check the hardware - oh so you're a unibody, you came with 10.5, you get 10.6.

16. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

This can't work really. There probably are tons of people who have a Mac which came out before Leopard and still upgraded to Leopard.

17. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Nah, that doesn't really make sense. There are likely a ton of people (like me) who bought MBPs with Tiger pre-installed before Leopard even came out. So in your logic, that means people like me wouldn't be able to use the $29 upgrade of SL? Apple said only that the $29 version of SL was for Leopard owners, not for people who bought Macs with Leopard pre-installed.

18. METOO999 macrumors regular

When I bought a Mac Mini years ago and Tiger was just coming out, the Apple Store put the Tiger upgrade disc in. I had to install Panther first from the Mini's install discs, then use the "upgrade" Tiger disc. It wasn't a retail disc. Who knows what they'll do with the $29 disc.

19. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

So if my HD fails, and I get it back from apple with tiger (because thats what mine shipped with) I'd have to install Leopard first?

What if I replaced my HD myself, or had to format it for some reason? Then I have to get my leopard disc, and install that first?