Quick question about tethering

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trev, Nov 28, 2010.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Ok, so I must do the most recent update from the Dev-Team to get my phone unlocked and thus use it on another carrier's network. Totally prepared to do this and I accepts the risks.

From what I understand, this is a tethered version? Meaning, I'd need to plug in the phone to the computer for each startup. Right on, easy enough. But just wondering what exactly happens? Does iTunes start up and it magically does its thing in the background while I wait for it to start up?

Also (ok, 2 questions), when the lovely immortals of the Dev-Team update a non-teatherd version of the software, would it just be as simple as updating my ultrasn0w from cydia?

Trevor

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The jailbreak (not the unlock) is tethered. That means you have to reinstall the jailbreak all over again, reinstall your jb programs, unlock, etc.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above the jb is tethered. Not tethering or anything to do with the unlock. If a non tethered version comes out you will have to restore and rejailbreak etc

4. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously? Wow. We'll, I guess letting the phone die would be a bad idea. Would it just entail entering DFU mode, then doing a restore with your custom IPSW? Not so bad, only about 20 minutes I guess...

Having said all that, an updated JB - would me a new version of pwnage? And again, much difficulty to update to an untethered JB?