Quick Question about the Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jcmc, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jcmc macrumors member

Hi there,

I have a MacBook hooked up to a Cinema Display, keyboard etc. and am using iSquint to convert loads of videos into the appropriate formate for my Apple TV.

There is a Mac Mini sitting here at work and I was thinking about taking this home over the holidays and using this to do the conversion donkey work. So I was wondering if I can connect up the Mini to my Cinema Display and monitor, set it going with a lengthy batch of conversions, unplug the monitor and keyboard leaving it work away happily on it's own, just connected to its power lead.

I suppose I could shorten this question to 'does the Mac Mini sleep if it is not connected to any peripherals ?'

Thanks,

Craig

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Don't see why not - the sleep issue is probably a specific setting you can turn off in the main settings beforehand. Might want to make sure the program can do a whole batch, and you have enough space, so you don't go back to it and find it's only done one!

3. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Just play around with the energy saving settings
    Sleep -> Never
    Hard Drive Shut Down -> Never
    Screen Saver -> No

4. stukdog macrumors 6502

The Mac mini runs fine with only the power connected.

While you have it on your Cinema Dispaly, get it on your home network and turn on screen sharing. That way, you can cycle thru your movies without having to connect again.

5. jcmc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for your help on this, I've fallen at a hurdle even before this as I cannot connect up my Cinema Display directly into the Mac Mini without some other sort of other serial port adaptor !

I thought this might be an easier process !

Craig

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The Cinema Display plugs straight into the Apple mini, the 3 connections are DVI, FireWire & USB, which all minis have.

Why do you need a "serial port" adapter?

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

The mac mini should have a DVI port on the back and the cinema display uses DVI... there should be no issue.

EDIT: Which cinema display do you have?

8. jcmc thread starter macrumors member

I have a recent 20" Cinema Display. That's odd, maybe I didn't look hard enough but I saw no obvious connection on the Mini that replicates the connection on my MacBook that I plug the Cinema Display into.

Could this probably be via an adaptor which ships with the Mini ? I don't have any of the packaging that came with it.

Thanks,
    Craig

9. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Mini has a DVI port in the back. The adaptor you speak of would be for VGA which is an older technology. You just plug the DVI cable from the screen into the back of the mini. If you are still having problems, take a few pictures to show us what you are dealing with.

10. jcmc thread starter macrumors member

Ah, worked it out now. Didn't notice the cable split on the DV cable from the Cinema Display. D'oh.

Thanks for your advice.

Craig