Quick question about the palmrest crack

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thinkbig12, Sep 14, 2008.

1. thinkbig12 macrumors member

I've read many threads about the palmrest crack but not one says what's the cause. My question might be silly :eek:but does it happen when closing the lid too often? Or moving around the laptop (lid closed) created pressure on the lid?

And are newer macbooks crack free? Mine is 3 months old? Should I worry?

Thanks

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I wouldn't worry until the end of your warranty.

My MacBook is starting to show cracks but I have 2 years left on Applecare. If your starts to show it, take it in before your warranty runs out and maybe the Geniuses will replace it for you.

As for the cause, I think it is a combination of palm pressure, and the screen tabs that keep the monitor slightly raised. They seem to leave an indentation that help the cracks form.

3. thinkbig12 thread starter macrumors member

Why didn't they make the screen tabs in rubber?

Thanks for the info!

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The Geniuses Helped...

My palmrest cracked on one side, and was starting to crack on the other. So I took my computer to the Genius Bar at the Apple store and they replaced the whole top case for free:D. Including my clicking track pad and the whole keyboard. They will usually replace that part of the computer under warranty (I've even read of other people getting their's replaced out of warranty) as long as it's not cosmetic. For example my friend has her palmrest badly stained a tan color from makeup on her hands, and they said they didn't cover "cosmetic damages" because it's her fault. But your experience may vary.

Jeff