Quick question about thermal paste

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crispy1, May 5, 2011.

1. Crispy1 macrumors newbie

I have the 2011 i7 quad core 2.2ghz 15" macbook pro and I believe I have the crap job of the thermal paste applied inside the cpu unit. Being unaware how macs work internally I don't want to mess up anything in my laptop. I just purchased this last month and was wondering does the Apple Genius Bar reapply thermal paste for you if you ask for it? or will I have to try and take this elsewhere.:confused:

2. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Err sorry but um, what leads you to believe there is a problem with the thermal paste? Heat? Macs get pretty hot, download a fan controller.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can ask them about whatever excessive heat you think your Mac might be generating, but straight out asking them to reapply the thermal paste isn't going to get you far.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You already asked about heat issues in another thread and were told that you don't have heat issues. Your MBP is working as designed. You don't need to do anything to your thermal paste.

5. Crispy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

doesnt justify the fact that I did multiple other tests throughout the day and realized the temperatures were wrong. Ive had 2 overheating issues after 20 minutes of play and found my temperatures reading at 102-105 degrees celcius before shutting down. Only having the game and windows open doing my tests.
    I've even tried using a friends laptop cooler but that doesn't really do much either

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Have you tried a PRAM and/or SMC reset already?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you think you have a problem take it to the Apple Store and possibly get another MBP. Why would you want to lose your warranty?????

9. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

My apologies. I've always just done a PRAM reset after an SMC reset, as kind of a "cover all bases" kind of thing.

Thanks for pointing that out though. :) Funny thing is, I've read that article before, but I was never actually sure what exactly was stored in PRAM, woe is me!

10. dgitalchaos macrumors member

If you're good with your hands and taking things apart, then this will be a VERY easy task. I didn't have problems with heating, as my 15 MacBook Pro shipped with 10.6.7 (heating issues resolved?), but my curiosity got the best of me so I took mine apart... the thermal paste was horrible. I cleaned up the old thermal paste and had my GPU and CPU shining before I applied the OCZ Freeze, which dropped my already cool temperatures even more.

Normal temps are now 110 Fahrenheit (42 Celsius).

I used an acid brush with some rubbing alcohol to make sure that I didn't break the resistors on the GPU.

If you decide to take on the task, good luck AND make sure to disconnect the battery.

11. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

thermal paste is only applied/re-applied when your logic board and/or heatsink is removed from the computer. This is the last thing that comes out of the macbook, and even then is incredibly hard to muck up. I think your problem lies elsewhere