quick question about tv times

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Feb 17, 2008.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been wondering about this nagging issue for years and i have no idea about why this is at all. in the us, at least, most networks nowadays have the shows air on network tv at 8 et/pt, and so and so. but the thing i don't get is some networks like national geographic have the time where it's 8et/9pt, so that in fact the west coast will have to stay up later to watch the show than their east coast counterparts?

there are two questions i would like answered: why is this format favored by a few networks to make west coasters stay up later than the east coasters for a show, and was this more common in the old days? thanks.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My guess is Live broad cast like sports messed with things. They start at a much eariler time in PT than in the east cost so they move the time blocks for TV to adjust for it. Putting your shows an hour later in one time zone for the hits means it is not effected as much by live broad cast while on the east cost means you can get though another hour of show before the broad cast hits. The 4 hour time difference really messes with things. CST and mountain time really have it the best.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sporting events usually don't mess up the schedule. It hurts the east coast more then then west. If a football game ends at 7:30 and the schedule starts at 7 that delays the east coast. The west coast will show filler for a few hours then start the schedule at 7 pt.

I just looked at NGC and it looks like they air the same programing on both coasts at the same time. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/PT/daily/20080217.html

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

most of the networks that i've seen this situation don't air much in the way of live events. so i don't think that's the reason.

and yes, i think the central time zone is the best (i've lived in every time zone expect mountain).