Quick question about unlocked iphone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lukeman3000, Feb 9, 2012.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

I have a jailbroken iphone 4 running 4.2.1 (8C148). I think I used greenpoision or something like that -- it was a long time ago.

I want to update to 5.0.1 and use this guide to jailbreak it again once it's updated.

What I want to know is, will I be able to unlock my phone or use it with another carrier after this? Is there something I need to do before I update to 5.0.1 to allow this to happen, or is it possible I already screwed myself over when I jailbroke the first time? I just don't know what criteria is important or what I need to do to make sure that I can use my iphone 4 with another carrier once I update it to 5.0.1 and jailbreak it again.

And if this is relevant:
    Modem Firmware: 03.10.01

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Depends on what baseband your on if your baseband is unlockable youll need to preserve your baseband using Pwnagetool or Sn0wbreeze to make a custome 5.0.1 IPSW but do it fast before apple issues a new firmware sadly the ultrans0w the unlocking program only supports 1.59.00 on the iPhone 4

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Noob question ref Baseband.

How do you know if the baseband is unlockable or not ?

4. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

1.59 is the BB that can be unlocked via US on i4, it was the bb for ios 4 and 4.01
    anything thats 4.10.XX or lower (anything under ios5) can be unlocked via Gevey Sim.

you can use PwnageTool to upragade to 5.01 while keeping 3.10, so if you ever want to unlock with Gevey you have the option

5. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Just remember gevey is illegal and unreliable and it makes you call 911and quickly hang up to activate

6. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

gevey is not illegal due to the fact you do not connect the call to 112, as well as the fact you can download furiousmod which makes it so you dont dial.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

As already said only Baseband/modemfirmware 1.59.0 can be software unlocked by Ultrasn0w, anything 04.10.01 and under can be unlocked by Gevey Sim.

As you are already on BB 03.10.01 the only way for you to unlock is the Gevey Sim.

Either you altready have that or you presently don't need to unlock.

The BB of 5.01 is 04.11.08 which is presently unlockable.
    What you need to do is make a custom firmware package with redsn0w or pwnage to make sure that you update to 5.01 and preserve your BB.

With redsn0w that will give you a NO_BB custom IPSW to upgrade from in itunes.

Iclarified has some good tutorials.

Good luck

8. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for answering my question in the fullest extent and pointing me in the right direction; this is exactly what I was looking for. Now that I have a better understanding of my current situation, I guess the next step is to make a custom firmware.

So, I upgrade with a custom firmware first (to 5.01), and then jailbreak again, right? I fully intend on reading tutorials before I do this, just thought I'd ask.

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

If you want to preserve BB, yes you need a custom firmware upgrade.

If you make it with redsn0w then afterwards you will have to jailbreak with redsn0w; 9.10b5 is the latest to be found on:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Pwnage makes a custom firmware which is already pre-jailbroken.
    also found on the above link.

I prefer redsn0w myself

10. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Gevey sims are 100% illegal Musclenerd himself came out and said it is ILLEGAL in the US and probably other countries

11. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

IF they were to connect to 112 they would be illegal, but they dont.
    i really hate using gevey compared to a soft unlock.
    there is the possibility that Gevey is illegal if it were to connect.
    companies like applenberry are legit sellers of Gevey sim.

----------

also, if what you are saying is true, the Gevey itself isnt illegal, just the process of the unlock.

12. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yeah well Gevey I believe was made in China because 112 in china is like 411 in america,But in europe it is illegal to call 112 for anything but emergencies because even if you disconnect emergency services will be sent out regardless.Regardless gevey itself is illegal because of its method plus I would rather use ultrasn0w but hey my 4S is factory unlocked :p