Quick question about updates

Catcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
When Cydia apps that you have downloaded are updated is their anyway of being informed other than manually looking through Cydia?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When Cydia apps that you have downloaded are updated is their anyway of being informed other than manually looking through Cydia?
Cydia is a UI front end for apt-get, apt-get need to refresh its sources before it can let you know if any update is available or not, this doesn't happen unless you open Cydia.

As a workaround there are some Scheduling app you can install and then have a script call for a apt-get update in the background, but this have to be done on using command line, if you are confortable with that it is a lot easier to just open cydia once in a while.

Catcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Cydia is a UI front end for apt-get, apt-get need to refresh its sources before it can let you know if any update is available or not, this doesn't happen unless you open Cydia.

As a workaround there are some Scheduling app you can install and then have a script call for a apt-get update in the background, but this have to be done on using command line, if you are confortable with that it is a lot easier to just open cydia once in a while.
Thanks for the answer. So if I understand correctly when I go into Cydia it will let me know if any updates are available?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the answer. So if I understand correctly when I go into Cydia it will let me know if any updates are available?
Yes, the first thing that cydia does when you open it is refresh it sources and let you know if any package have an update. (unless you open it again in less that 60sec, then it will skip it)