Quick question about USB external harddrive connected to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ijha, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ijha macrumors regular

ijha

I am thinking of buying a 4th generation Airport Extreme soon since I want to connect my external hard drive to it. My question is that under this setup, is my harddrive going to spin all day? or does it go into sleep mode when it is not accessed?

Thanks a lot.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The current gen Airport Extreme is 5.

I've found that on my 4th gen Extreme's it'll sleep the drives. If the drive supports sleep. Some of my external hard drives don't sleep after an idle time out. But the ones that do sleep after idle, do go to sleep.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The drive will go to sleep when not accessed for x minutes

5. ijha thread starter macrumors regular

ijha

Thanks a lot for your quick responses.

My Harddrive is WD 1TB which goes into the sleep mode when connected to my Macbook pro and PC. So, I guess it will sleep with Airport Extreme without problem?

Yes, I'd like to get the 4th generation one. I just don't want to spend extra money when you can still buy 4th generation one at BHphotes.

Thanks,

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Get the new the model. It performs much better that the previous versions.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/...nd-time-capsule-4th-gen-review-faster-wifi-/6

7. ijha thread starter macrumors regular

ijha

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have money to spare, get the 5th. But if you don't get the 4th. Even though the 4th is 2 years old, it still preforms very well in terms of speed and abilities.