Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Ok,

This might seem like a dumb question but how do i convert my songs into apple lossless or mp3s, I want to make my songs size smaller and hopefully get better quality sound and the same sound from all of them. Sometimes I have to put the volume down cuz the song is too loud or put it up cuz I can barely hear the song.

thanx

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
prp134 said:
Ok,

This might seem like a dumb question but how do i convert my songs into apple lossless or mp3s, I want to make my songs size smaller and hopefully get better quality sound and the same sound from all of them. Sometimes I have to put the volume down cuz the song is too loud or put it up cuz I can barely hear the song.

thanx

If you go preferences-> encoding in iTunes you can change your compression options.

It sounds like you want to do something else, however. Recompressing a song will always lower the quality, in otherwords you cannot encode up the quality. To improve your files you will have to re-rip them at a higher bit rate from the original CDs.

It should be noted that lossless will result in huge files sizes compaired to mp3s or AAC.

If you want to equalize the volume in iTunes simply click "sound check" under audio in preferences. This will at least accomplish some of your goal. As far as getting better quality and smaller sizes it is usually a give and take... one or the other.

Hope that helps!

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
prp134 said:
Ok,

thanx

having to change the volume has nothing to do with the quality of the song, you either have some funky cds or are downloading dodgy rips

you cant get better quality out of an audio file by recompressing it or changing it to other formats, if youve riped it from cd you can rerip it at a higher bitrate

iDM

macrumors 6502a
prp134 said:
Ok,

thanx

Lossless is much much larger then Mp3 or AAC I believe it's smaller then .WAV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.