Quick Question: Are the "iPhone 5" cases really just iPod Touch cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Quick question and then I'll ask the mod's to close it in case its been asked already.

I keep seeing these new cases listed as evidence of a new iPhone 5 design being thinner.

Why do people assume that these are actually an iPhone 5 cases instead of an iPod touch refresh due to its thinness?

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I as shot down for suggesting that in a thread a while back. I don't think it's entirely impossible that in the iPod touch refresh they'll add a bigger screen. It could very certainly be a possibility. I think most people are attributing the cases to the iPhone 5 because that is the device that more people are excited to see right now.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've thought this as well, but here is my take as to why I think they are of the next iPhone and not of an iPod touch.

The current iPod touch as 1 speaker port at the bottom and the mic next to the camera, but the iPhone 4 has 1 speaker port and 1 mic at the bottom, an LED flash next to the camera and a Noise canceling mic next to the headphone jack.

now here is a purported case of the next iPhone.

Notice the two ports at the bottom, the elongated camera hole (just like current cases that account for the flash) and the pin hole at the top next to the headphone jack (to account for the noise canceling mic) and the mute switch.
    [​IMG]

4. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I doubt it, think about it like this, the iPod touch was a variation of the iPhone since the iPhone came out first. Do you really think Apple would put a bigger screen on an iTouch before a iPhone? :cool::apple: Exactly

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because the manufacturers selling them are marketing them as iPhone 5 cases. Pretty simple.

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

iPod touches may not have a larger screen, there also won't be a major update for the ipod touch anyways.

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

Could be, but I doubt the iPod will get a bigger screen than the iPhone.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

They're almost definitely Touch cases.
    2012 Touch cases.

That microphone cutout is a microphone cutout.
    Skype (or Apple's own alternative) will allow the Touch to make phone calls without contracts.
    Making the Touch an iPhone junior has killed iPod sales.
    I mean they are really, really in the toilet.
    Apple is abandoning that strategy and are instead going to go after the portable gaming market.
    The Touch will be Apple's answer to the PSP and the 3DS.
    A larger body, a larger screen, a larger battery.

It's crystal clear.

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

That case is entirely too thin to fit the next iPhone.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If what u r saying is true, then the iPhone will have the same, bigger screen. What's crystal clear is the fact that Apple would NEVER make a touch with a bigger screen then the iphone. So with that being said, the cases are more likely for an iPhone because of the cutouts, etc.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not according to the people making them. You just make this stuff up in your head don't you?

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Utter nonsense.
    That's like saying that since the iPhone is Apple's flagship product, the MacBook Air will never get a larger screen than the iPhone.
    They're two different products with two different usages.
    It might not have been true with the Touch of the past but it's going to be true going forward.
    The Touch as an iPhone junior MP3 player is dead.
    It might not even be called the Touch by 2012.
    Maybe it'll be the iGame or something.
    But Apple is definitely going to try and rule the personal gaming market and this is the device whose case we're now seeing.

Of course!
    :p

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Or they could increase the screen on them at the same time since it looks like their successors will be released at the same time.

14. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm just guessing as all of us are, but yes I do think this is the new touch case.