Quick question before I restore (again)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cynics, Apr 23, 2015.

1. cynics macrumors G3

I wanted to verify before I restored my phone that there was no techie ways of just fixing it.

Here is what its doing. Try to open the mail app and the app crashes immediately. I tried resetting the device (power + home buttons) and power cycling it. Plugged into iTunes to sync but obviously that didnt do much. I also obviously can't delete and reinstall the mail app.

Anything I should try before a restore? iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3 (its a work phone). Last thing I feel like doing is working all day then messing with this all night.

2. Rlong405 macrumors member

You could try removing all the mail accounts and then reinstating them?

3. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Excellent idea! Unfortunately it didnt help. All the notifications I have for mail disappeared but the app still won't open.

No matter which way I try to sneak my way into the mail app it just crashes. Like clicking on a notification (I still get them) it tries to load the app and it crash. Oddly enough I can email from other apps like Photos but as soon as it sends it goes back to the photos app not the mail app.

In the Diag and Usage Data there is a ton of "stacks+MobileMail" from today. Appears to be every time I've tried to open it and its crashed but it doesn't look very helpful other to anyone but Apple.

4. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

For your iPhone the only way to sort that out .. I am sorry to say ... is restore since you did the complete shut down and re-boot.

I just don't think it is corrupted .. just a bad code hack.

My very warmest regards.

Alan

:confused::confused::confused:

5. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Ya I kind of assumed so. I figured I'd ask just incase though.

This is the second time this has happened. And I'm pretty sure I can replicate it since I was doing the same thing last time. The more pictures you add to an email the app will really start to bog down and get slow. If you add too many it crashes. For me it seems to be 7 photos with my 4S. Once it crashes it can not recover.

I believe this is because its trying to restore the draft, however that draft is what caused the crash. This makes an endless loop of crashing.

I'm restoring as new right now. I'm going to try it once it boots up to see if it does it again.