Quick question: Do new MBPs come with a Leopard disc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Belm, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Belm macrumors regular

Do they? Or are they only shipping with Snow Leopard?

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

By now they should be shipped with SL preloaded already. you might get a SL dvd if you get some of the older stock but i dont think so.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you bought one from Apple just after Snow Leopard was released it would have been pre-loaded with Leopard with a Snow Leopard drop-in DVD in the box as well as the Leopard restore discs. I would imagine the old stock held by Apple will have now cleared and you would get only Snow Leopard in the box.

You could always try other retailers to see if they have any old stock. You would probably have to order the up-to-date Snow Leopard upgrade from Apple if you go for this option.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

SL doesn't require leo to be preinstalled , if thats what you mean, so there is no reason to have leo in the box. Still, if you did it would be tied to that specific model type anyway. Only the retail disks would be universal.

5. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I was just wondering if I would be able to use Leopard instead of Snow Leopard.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I bought my MBP at BestBuy on September 9th and it came with SL installed. It's been long enough to where they should all come with SL now.

As an experiment, I tried installing Leopard on my MBP and it worked ok. The keyboard lights would only come on after I installed all available updates.

The touchpad multi finger gestures were not available. Just the basic one finger click and the two finger right click. The options were still there for all the other gestures, they just would not work. Apparently these are missing from the basic Leopard install DVD unless the MBP originally came with Leopard.