Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
hi im thinking about buying the iphone 16gb on the £30 contract, i was wondering, does that tariff get a free upgrade every year? so say for example if a new updated iphone was realeased would i be able to upgrade to it? with no additional fee? thanks for your help

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
I don't think any tariff does, I'm on the 35 quid tariff and i had to pay for my 3g upgrade (a reduced fee £99 as far as i can remember for existing customers with a additional contract reset). Don't worry though by the time the launch day comes you will be dying to hand over your money (i know i was :))

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I think it will be the same again this year when iPhone 3 come out. O2 will give it to you at an upgrade price and you will have to extend your contract to another 18 months from when you get the new iPhone.

Thats how I think it will happen, although this time I think the iPhone 3 for people with the iPhone 3G will be a lot more expensive to upgrade to as the iPhone 3G was given subsidized, unlike the original which was an outright purchase.

Gotta start saving up the pennies!! :D

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
thnx lol just realised the price to upgrade isn't that major anyway :)

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
oh lol you think price will be alot higher :( i hope not lol

how long you guys think before we will see a physical iphone update? i dont mind to much on hardware and stuff like that

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Its all very clever.

Releasing a new upgrade every year so our 18 month contracts are reset and never end, not to mention paying for the the privilege too!

However i love my iPhone so I'm happy as i get more than enough use from it.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
i reckon the next one will be just a better battery, processor and maybe a higher res screen, so maybe after that. I can't se apple making any radical changes to the appearance.

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
yep very clever. the good thing is unlimited web browsing :)

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
I know, i can't imagine the bill i'd get if it wasn't. Remember as a fine citizen of the UK you can get a MMS app from the app store that works with o2!

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
type mm into the app store search bar and it will shop up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.