Quick question for you guys....? Case, or no case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rc1988, Jul 11, 2014.

1. rc1988 macrumors newbie

Hey all. I am going to be picking up my very first MacBook Pro with retina tomorrow. I invested in a very nice Samsonite bag for transportation, no my concern is a case. I see a lot of people with the Speck cases; however, I have heard that any type of these shell casings can cause the MacBook to overheat? I was also told this by a geek squad rep as well. What is your opinions on this matter. I just have a hard time spending $1500 on a laptop and not offering it some protection; however, I certainly don't want anything to overheat. Thanks all, and have a great weekend!- Ricky

2. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

I prefer no case. I put mine in a sleeve when not in use. And the sleeve in a briefcase for traveling to and fro.

3. Elpimpo macrumors newbie

Case since day 1!

Had a Speck case that i just replaced on my mid 2009 MBP

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If I had plans for selling my rMBP in the future, I would put a case on it.

However, I prefer let it wear naturally. I even write my name on it with a pen for DVD labeling as a theft prevention measure (I also have Orbicule's Undercover and firmware password enabled).

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

No case here... but a carbon fiber body skin... Looks beautiful and have a ColcaSac sleeve for mobility.

Had a clear Speck case on my 2012 15" Retina and ...just felt like a cMBP with it on..

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

No case for me. When transporting it goes in my well padded backpack. At home it sits in a stand in clamshell mode. On the road it only gets used on desk or table. The only scratch on it could not have been prevented by a case. The speaker grill is dented when my wife dropped something on it while open. I just don't like the look of a case.

7. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

No case, but do use a silver/aluminum wrap from slickwraps.com

Keeps it from scratching, especially in tables that have debris on them.

Side not: I did just get my first knock (super tiny) on the bottom of my computer when it fell on my file cabinet. But it is barely noticeable.

The wrap allows modest protection while still keeping it super thin. I'm glad I went with it vs. a speck case that I used on my previous machine that always got dirty and seemed to break early on.

8. Hansana, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014

Hansana macrumors regular

Quick question for you guys....? Case, or no case?

I use a case I got from eBay. Looks awesome and protects my laptop as well. Photo below :)[​IMG]

9. Hansana macrumors regular

^^

10. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

the thing for me is that cases are way bulky, it makes my 13" rmbp feel like a 13" cmbp. Putting a sticker on doesn't protect the edges, which is where most of the damage is going to get done.

I just sigh and deal with it. Most of the "damage" you'll do is at the corners and near the ports. Just grin and bear it!

11. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

No case, but I got the Thule gauntlet for transport.

I plan to use my Macbook until it no longer functions at all or falls apart.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No case. I don't worry about resale value on my laptops because I use them until they die or hand them down to my parents when they need an upgrade.

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've had three MBPs but never seen the need for a case. I've never damaged one of them, and I don't baby them either. Worst damage is two small nicks on the front edge of my current MBP.

I think cases add quite a lot of weight and thickness, and as I said, I haven't ever seen the need. I transport it in a protective cover, but it's always caseless in use.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use a case, I'm happy without it - I guess its personal preference.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Do what works for you. Polling is never the way to determine matters of preference.

16. EstebanLGJ macrumors newbie

EstebanLGJ

I put a case on my 2010 MBP for like 3 months. It was nice because it was new color, but I doesn't really do anything. I ended up taking it off because dust would accumulate on the sides and the hinge loosened a bit. The dust was annoying because it gets hard to remove as it had been on the machine for a couple of months due to the case. Also, machine gets considerably heavier.

I had that computer for 4 years and I never dropped it. I think it only has one minor scratch, which I think is fine for a four year old computer.

I used the speck case around 2 years ago. Who knows, maybe they're better now. Never putting a case on it again though.

17. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

No case. I use a carbon fiber skin for scratch protection and put the notebook in a Rickshaw Bagworks custom sleeve inside my shoulder bag when I need to take it anywhere.

18. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I use the Twelve South BookBook for MacBook, iPad, and iPhone. great products!

19. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I use a neoprene sleeve with my 13" and it works perfectly - it's an "Acme Made" one that I bought on the apple online store, but it doesn't seem to be listed there any more after a quick search.

It's open at one side and you slide the MBP in and hold it in place with an elastic strap that loops over. It's a great design with no zips or metal pieces, so no chance of scratching it.

When it's out of that sleeve I have no other covering on it though.

20. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I don't use a case, but I do put it in a sleeve before throwing it in a bag if I'm taking it out of the house.

I think cases do more harm than good, a lot of the time specs of dirt will get trapped between the case and the laptop causing even more scratches than if you didn't have one on at all.

21. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

clear speck case ; keeps the looks and keeps it protected ; only downfall is you have to bleach it every 6 months as it gets a brown stain on it from dust

22. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I've been using a case for about the last year - no complaints about temperature, and it hasn't caused damage to my machine (I remove it about once a month to clean). I know the aluminum is pretty durable, but I'd much rather add a bit of cheap protection against dents or scratches.

Although the cases do add bulk (and some newer versions from Speck and others are slimmer), it's probably personal preference, especially on machines like the rMBP and Air. As for overheating, if it was a problem, I doubt Apple would be carrying them in their stores, much less Speck/Incase/Uncommon/etc. continuing to sell these.

Most of the cooling on MacBooks is through the hinge area (on Airs and non-Retina MacBook Pros, air is sucked in that area and also vented out, on Retina MacBook Pros, the vents on the sides are the intakes, while the hinge is the exhaust). Most cases accommodate this. The aluminum _could_ help in some circumstances, but if the body of the computer was a true heat sink, the palm rests and keyboard area and sides would be nasty-hot if you were playing a Flash video. :)

23. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I prefer a "clamshell sleeve" design like the Thule and Vatuka sleeves. They give you better drop/shock protection than a hard shell, keep the computer clean, don't overheat (the Vatuka in particular is well ventilated), and are super easy to take off/put on if you don't want to commit to obscuring your shiny aluminum with ugly plastic 24/7.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't have a car so Speck hard case is a must because I carry my precious rMBP with me in my messenger/backpack. I took a ride Metro Train and there are several stations come with gate turnstiles that abused my rMBP. :apple:

25. kittencounter macrumors member

Its beautiful piece of aluminum. Let it shines. No cases for life :)