quick question for you iphone experts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigjnyc, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

say you have the iphone 3G and are not interested in using data at all what would happen to your voice calls if you disable 3G in the settings menu? would call quality suffer? or would it not matter at all.

reason is because my friend wants to lend her dad her iphone 3g for a few days and he just has a regular voice plan and she doesnt want him to incur any data charges. he would just be putting in his sim card from his old phone which broke. And yes his sim card works in the phone, and no she is not scamming AT&T since she is paying the 3G data plan anyways during these few days.

2. FJR macrumors regular

your real worry isn't turning 3G on/off. Your real worry is all the other stuff your iphone does. You'd have to deactivate all your email, tracking systems, etc. When 3G is off, the iPhone uses Edge just like it would 3G (although obviously slower). Turning 3G on or off won't really do anything. Its turning all the little things that the iphone uses the data connection for off that would be the trick.

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

ok got you, so 3G has no effect on voice call quality right?

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I've heard it does. I've read from users on this board that they can notice a buzzing noise in the background when on an EDGE call but no such sound on 3G.

5. FJR macrumors regular

No, it is often better on 3G. 3G simply carries more data, and thus more accurately reproduces the input. The iPhone's microphone transmits data that is higher quality than Edge can convey, thus when on a 3G connection, its even mroe accurate.

Remember, voice is data too. A data plan is just shorthand for "all data that isn't text messages and phone calls."

6. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Great! Thanks for all your helpful info.