Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I have the rev a macbook air, the basic model 1.6, 80 gig hard drive.
Everything is great and i love it, but i don't like all the noise that the hard drive makes, it is not faulty or anything, but you know how much of a din they make when it is the dead of night and you are typing away in silence!
I also assume that it is the slower hard drive that makes the boot up time so much longer on the air than any other mac i have ever owned (and i have owned three! lol)

So i suppose that is probably another question:

Will these minor niggles be sorted with an ssd?

How would i get the ssd upgrade? is it possible? Do apple do it? How many millions of pounds will it cost?!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

I hope you will have a good day,

Lord i.

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
There doesn't seem to be many options finding a PATA ZIF 1.8" SSD drive. The samsung that apple uses seems like the only choice. There are others out there, but many are 8mm thick while, the Samsung 64gb is 5mm thick. Prices on those drives still hover around $500.

Rev B is SATA but it still uses a LIF connector and not a standard SATA connector. That's a shame, because it looks like Intel is not making any of their X-18 SLC drives in LIF connector.

michaeldavid

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
There doesn't seem to be many options finding a PATA ZIF 1.8" SSD drive. The samsung that apple uses seems like the only choice. There are others out there, but many are 8mm thick while, the Samsung 64gb is 5mm thick. Prices on those drives still hover around $500.

Rev B is SATA but it still uses a LIF connector and not a standard SATA connector. That's a shame, because it looks like Intel is not making any of their X-18 SLC drives in LIF connector.

I just looked at the pictures on the sticky thread of the rev b and yeah just noticed it is LIF... I just ordered a couple of days ago a MBA 1.86 with the normal hard drive thinking in a couple of months from now I'll upgrade it to the 160gb intel x-18m ssd... ayyy Is it for sure that the X-18m is not LIF (wishful thinking..)?

The order's been placed with the friends/family 15% discount so it's real tough to get it changed to the SSD model :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.