Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I use the mini displayport (thunderbolt) and I usually only connect it while the computer is off, and the same when I shutdown the computer... (To avoid damage if it is possible)

How do you do it with yours?

I'm only checking to see if I'm being too careful and wasting time.

Last edited:

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I found this on another forum from googling-

I've been using external displays for quite a while now and there's no need to put your mbp to sleep or do anything before you pull the adapter. Just plug /pull whenever you need it. I never had any problems so far.

Apparently you can hot-plug away? Can anyone confirm this?

Or maybe just putting the mac to sleep? I just don't want to fry my video card. :rolleyes:

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
Are you using the Mbps as a display as well? I hav been using a MBA with a display as a secondary screen and I have always just pulled the display cable out without turning off the computer and had no problems. I do this with my rmbp as well with no problems? However this may be different for clamshell mode

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Are you using the Mbps as a display as well? I hav been using a MBA with a display as a secondary screen and I have always just pulled the display cable out without turning off the computer and had no problems. I do this with my rmbp as well with no problems? However this may be different for clamshell mode

I do use my MBP as a 2nd display w/ a 24" external display. I suppose its not too bad to shut the clam and give a few seconds and pull the cords and of course ejecting my external drives. :)

I used to put my old UMBP when I put the computer to sleep and eventually I noticed that the mini displayport adaptor may have been damaged (some strange sleep issues with the external display) but not that I've noticed with the machine's own display didnt show any symptoms like that.

Thanks!

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
I do use my MBP as a 2nd display w/ a 24" external display. I suppose its not too bad to shut the clam and give a few seconds and pull the cords and of course ejecting my external drives. :)

I used to put my old UMBP when I put the computer to sleep and eventually I noticed that the mini displayport adaptor may have been damaged (some strange sleep issues with the external display) but not that I've noticed with the machine's own display didnt show any symptoms like that.

Thanks!

I usually disconnect from my external display when i want to use the laptop around the house so it makes more sense just to unplug it when its off. however if your unplugging it to take with you then it would make more sense to stay on the safe side and close the lid first then disconnect all of the cables. the amount of times i see the this disk was not ejected properly is scary.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Oh, yea.. same with disks not ejected properly and I have even seen that randomly and I thought... Great... did it just eat itself? I'm always careful to avoid losing data. ;)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I found this on another forum from googling-

Apparently you can hot-plug away? Can anyone confirm this?

Or maybe just putting the mac to sleep? I just don't want to fry my video card. :rolleyes:

Here is Apple's official recommendation and they suggest sleep before unplugging. That said I hot plug/unplug my TBD all the time and it has not hurt anything.

I don't think the recommendation to sleep first has anything to do with frying anything, but more to do with the OS being able to sync up video properly.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
for a display I don't see any problem with just yanking the cord....it adjusts itself whether it is asleep or not. With hard drives you are better off letting the computer go to sleep before pulling it if you intend on resuming later with it plugged in, otherwise, eject it.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Here is Apple's official recommendation and they suggest sleep before unplugging. That said I hot plug/unplug my TBD all the time and it has not hurt anything.

I don't think the recommendation to sleep first has anything to do with frying anything, but more to do with the OS being able to sync up video properly.

for a display I don't see any problem with just yanking the cord....it adjusts itself whether it is asleep or not. With hard drives you are better off letting the computer go to sleep before pulling it if you intend on resuming later with it plugged in, otherwise, eject it.

Perfect, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.