Quick Question:How many charge cycles has your battery had and how long does it last?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sdodd91, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sdodd91 macrumors newbie

Ok, so today I went to Apple to get a new charger after mine broke, and just to make sure my battery was still good the guy at the genius bar went to the power info. When he saw it he was shocked, he said I had the second highest cycle count he had ever seen and the person who was a few higher had a battery that lasted only about 10 minutes, which is what has happened to every other laptop I have ever had. I have 1356 charge cycles and still get between 2 1/2 to 3 hours of battery life using wifi with the screen slightly dimmed. Usually when I'm not plugged in I'm just typing, surfing, and listening to music, but it still seems pretty good. This is a 2007 white 13'' MacBook and I still use the battery that came with it three years ago.

So does anyone else have a high charge count and still a decent battery life? because the guy at Apple was surprised my battery still functioned, let alone got 3 hours.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery is only expected to retain 80% health for 300 cycles. Your cycle count is quite excessive.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Wow. After 1.5 years I only have 82 cycles and get the same battery life as I did the first day.

4. sdodd91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I know the expected 80% after 300 cycles.. I'm just kind of curious of how high other people have theres while still retaining a decent battery life. Also, after checking with coconutBattery my total capacity it 95% after 1356 cycles.

5. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

I'm at 347 cycles with 85% remaining. However, when I first got this computer it would last the advertised 7 hours, but now I get 4 tops after a calibration. :(

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am at 350 cycles with 95% health. I get around 2-3, maybe 3 and a half hours to a charge.

7. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I've seemed to get the short end of the stick on this one haha. I only have 51 cycles and my health is at 94%. It drops clear down to around 88% whenever I do a calibration, and then slowly works back up in health as I use the battery more lol

8. dlegend macrumors 6502

got mine in august 08, 532 cycles, 91% health. Still lasts 3-4 hours

9. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

My uMBP is 14 months old and has 96 cycles (and 96% health). Still get about 5 hours with wifi and slightly dimmed.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

My MB has 137 cycles and usually hovers between 94-96% health. It's about 14 months old and I get roughly 3.5 hours out of a charge with reasonable use.

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't think the health percentage really means much if you're getting 2-3 hours of life under regular conditions, getting a new battery will help significantly, double, maybe even triple the battery life is possible.

12. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Do you think that they'll replace my battery under warranty? My issue is it's above 80%.

13. Xenophon macrumors regular

Think so? My first battery lasted 13 months/120 cycles, then it just broke down and would go from 100 to 3% in 15 minutes....AND they refused to replace it for free. Second battery is still doing ok after 5 months, touch wood.

14. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Well...hopefully that doesn't happen to my Macbook...that would be a sad day lol. I actually called apple concerned about my batteries health. He said that my battery is doing perfectly fine. Basically, as far as I understand it, some batteries leave the factory with a higher mAh than other batteries do. So, your initial battery health may seem to degrade quickly, but then it will hold fast at a certain area and stay there. It's seemed to do that for me for the most part. We'll see I guess haha :rolleyes:

15. sdodd91 thread starter macrumors newbie

True, I am looking at getting a new MacBook soon however, so buying a new battery might not be the best idea at the moment. The health percentage doesn't really match the 2-3 hours, but what i really am most surprised about is the fact that I am getting 2-3 hours after so many charge cycles.