Quick Question: If I upgrade to Mavericks, will it delete everything?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Pookieinc, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Pookieinc macrumors member

Sorry if this has been asked before (did a quick check and couldn't find much and Google hasn't been much help), but if I do a simple install (straight download and install), will it clean out my Mac? I want to make sure of this before upgrading.

Thanks for your patience!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No. It does not delete your personal files etc. Make sure to backup first, just in case something untoward occurs.

3. Pookieinc thread starter macrumors member

Beautiful, thank you!

4. Plaerke macrumors newbie

PLEASE HELP - Everything's gone, and I forgot to make a backup... I'm panicking - what can I do??:eek:

5. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

If you didn't make any kind of a backup, really your only option is to start fresh... :(

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did you upgrade or do a clean install? If you did the former, log in with a different account. Others have had this problem, and their files were still there, they just couldn't readily see them. I don't remember the thread for the specific posts.

7. Plaerke macrumors newbie

I just updated. The problem is - I bought the computer when it had already been used by someone else for four months... And it's not really someone I know, so that's a bit of a problem. But I could try to contact him - thanks! :)

8. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Mac OS Upgrades Never Wipe Out the Hard drive

Mac operating system upgrades never wipe out the hard drive. That's one of the advantages of the Mac platform and also one of the reasons why Mac users upgrade their computer's operating system more than Windows users. Windows will wipe out the hard drive after upgrading, and that's one of the reasons why Windows users rarely upgrade their PC's operating system.

Let me guess, have you recently switched from PC to Mac?