Quick question..I'm headed to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm headed to Verizon this morning with my wife's 1 month old HTC Dinc2. I got her an android device mainly because she didn't care at all (I'm not even sure which LG model she was updating from becaue it was so old), and because wanted to give a fair comparison to my iP4.

Anyway, although I love the size and form factor, I HATE android. It's just soo sloppy to me. My wife likes it and wouldn't know any better anyway. She can get on FB, take half decent pics,and text. That's all she cares about.

The phone DIED last night. TOTALLY DIED. It won't power on at all and when u plug it in to charge, the amber charge indicator lights up, but that's the only sign of life I can see. I've tried everything to power it up with no luck.

My question is do u think Verizon will let me exchange it for an iPhone? Or will they make me swap it out for the same model. They were both the same price and nothing in my contract would change. The phone is in PERFECT condition (physically anyway) and has never been wet, dropped, etc. My only problem is that it's a month old. What do u think they will let me do?

2. flybub macrumors regular

Depends on the store. I've had one store replace a Blackberry Bold right there in the store when we were having issues and could prove it. On the other hand, I had an OG Droid Incredible with a blown speaker and nothing could be heard out of it. I took it to a different store and they told me I would have to call VZW Customer Service to get it replaced. It will be a free replacement of the same phone, just a matter if they exchange it for you in the store or they order a refurbished one to be delivered to you. More than likely the latter, I doubt they would exchange for a new phone. I have only gotten out of a phone once with Verizon and that was after 7 replacements of a Blackberry Storm so I wouldn't count on them giving you a different phone.

3. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I dont think so either. But I'm gonna try. My wife likes it so it's no big deal. But I learned my lesson with android. I thought it would be nice to have devices with both OS's. But now that I got to experience Android, I will never go back.

4. kdog005 macrumors member

If it were one of my stores, the employee would be fired if they did. It's not that they don't want to, it's just against company policy without approval. Granted, if the customer had spoken with me, it's possible we could work something out given it's only been about 30 days.

That said, Verizon does have some rather odd rules about exchanging to and from iPhones. Just from a point of sale profit standpoint, Verizon would lose about $200 if you swapped to the iPhone.

My advice coming from Verizon management, talk to a manager, then talk to HIS manager, then talk to HIS manager if needed. It's very possible for us to be able to swap you to the iPhone, but given you're outside your 14 days, we would need to have serious justification to move you to a different device then you purchased. Again, it's not that we don't want to, it's just that we don't want to pay for your iPhone out of our next check when somebody above us gets pissed off that we didn't follow policy.

5. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I know if its 30 days or less you can exchange. I had the original Moto Droid and didnt care for it. The Dinc1 came out just after and i was able to exchange in that 30 day window and I had to pay the difference. However I will say with an 8mp camera the pictures I'm able to take are far better than decent :p.

However I think it just depends on the store as stated. You might get someone who is lax about the whole ordeal or you may not.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Could he not just get credit for the price of the droid and pay the difference for the iPhone? Verizon gets more money that way.

7. kdog005 macrumors member

No it doesn't work that way because the iPhone has a higher box cost than the Droid and a lower commission pay out at the point of sale. Not to mention that again, he's past his 14 days so the phone no longer has an applicable discount in the system and it's technically a $750 phone.

8. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

At Radioshack, it's 30 days return/swap. I know Verizon has 14 days until you can return the item. I'm not sure about swapping. I'm guessing if you're in those 30 days then yes.. Most likely they won't swap the phone for a different model. It's possible though. I've had customers come in and actually swap a phone they didn't like after like 2-3 months. One call to corporate and done. Corporate calls us and says, fix the issue. If the manager at Verizon says no, call someone higher than him. And just state your case.