Quick Question - iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ftkfriendlyfire, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ftkfriendlyfire macrumors newbie

Okay. Here's my question(s) that I have to have a quick reply too so I can purchase it. Should I go with a 2011 refurbished iMac or new one. I just hate the idea of buying one of the newer ones because it's too thin for me and there's no super drive. I'm a laptop guy and never bought an iMac before. Are the 2011s good? and do you think the refurbished macs are good through apple?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Refurbished mac through Apple are definitely good.

What is the price difference on the two particular models you are looking at?
    What is going to be the primary use of your mac?

3. Shane1905 macrumors regular

If you can afford it, get the latest one, the graphics were a huge imporvement as is the cooling, for how much you may use it, just buy a cheap external bluray drive and keep it in the draw. They are pretty cheap now.

4. ftkfriendlyfire thread starter macrumors newbie

I work at a school, and I apologize for the hast but I know how quick the refurbs fly off the shelf. It's the 21.5 models. Here's the two links:

Link One

Linke Two

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't buy a 2011 refurbished. The 2013 iMacs will be out soon, so I don't see the 2011 iMacs as being a good deal at their current refurbished price, and there's tax on Apple store purchases.

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Refurbs are great, you get the same options for Apple Care as with a new model, three years. Some say refurbs are better in that they've received extra inspection. Anyway, I have bought 2 refurb iMacs in the past and they still work.

As to 2011 iMacs, I bought a 21.5" base model (new) iMac and I love it. Of course I wish I'd opted for the other 21.5" with larger HDD. --Or had the funds for a 27" iMac, but the one I got has served me quite well so far.

As to 2011 or 2012 --that depends on what software you want to use and future plans. --You can get a reasonably priced external USB DVD drive from Amazon, etc.

7. ftkfriendlyfire thread starter macrumors newbie

There will be a 2013 iMac? When?
    If that's the case I might wait. I really think apple messed up with the 2012 version. It seemed like a laptop in a desktop case.

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Id go with the 2012 one. more ram, better graphics, bigger hardrive. How often do you use cds/dvd drive? I thought it would be a problem for me too, but I found out that i dont really use it =P

9. Serban Suspended

yes..buy the new model..you get double the ram, dougle the storage, better cpu and better graphics, no more heating and better display

10. ftkfriendlyfire thread starter macrumors newbie

good point. Any news on the 2013 models and when they come out?

11. fa8362 macrumors 65816

No one but Apple knows when, but soon...probably within the next 1-4 months.

12. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

If you're that bothered by the thinness of the latest models and the lack of a Superdrive, then get the refurbed 2011. Whenever the new Mac comes out (and it could be a long time), you can pretty much guarantee that it won't be fatter and it won't contain a DVD drive.