Quick question in folder.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tongteh, Apr 29, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

Been using my macbook for a few months but still can't figure out why it doesn't search file by the first letter..

Example:
    i have a mp3 file name "PokerFace.mp3" in music folder
    but when i press "P" in music folder, it doesnt bring me to pokerface.mp3

sometimes it brings to me to other letters as well.. back in windows it would cycle through all the "P's" in a folder.. Is it possible in Mac OSX??

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're looking for files you’ve got lying around on your computer, you can either search for them with Spotlight (in the upper-right corner of the screen), or just browse them as you're doing now. If you're browsing, you can simply type the first few letters and it may locate the file you're looking for.

For example, type "P" "O" "K"... and it should start to find that exact file in the folder.

Or just use iTunes to organize your music. :p

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

typing a the file name on spotlight is what i have been doing.. but i want to know if it's possible to actually find a file by their first letter on Mac OSX.

Sometimes it's just more convenient to search by the first letter instead of going into spotlight. Example.. if you are already in the music folder and press p, you get to "pokerface" in music folder.. but in the case of spotlight; you press cmd+space. then type "poker", the file appears(in 3-5secs), you then click on show all, find pokerface again, once you find it, you need to right click it to choose open enclosing folder.. See what i mean??

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... pressing letters when I'm in the Finder goes to the first file beginning with that letter in whatever window I'm in. If i press a letter twice, it scrolls to the next file (but ignores case). Not sure what's wrong with your computer...

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

if you are already in the folder, can type the first few letters and it will more specific, you don't have to limit yourself to the first letter.

if I type 'mx' instead of 'm' i would get 'mxpx' instead of 'madonna'

intuitive, non?

6. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW!! YOU ARE RIGHT!! :D:D:D.. i can't believe OSX works this way.. so instead of typing "P" to find poker face, i could actually type P,O,K to find my file!! :D thanks heaps!! these are the tricks i have been wanting to hear.. :D