Quick Question involving choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MSeyman, Jun 3, 2012.

  1. MSeyman macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2012
    Planning on getting a Mac (have been a PC user since birth) as a graduation gift from my parents and think I am down to the high-end 13" or the low end 15", both customized with a 128 SSD.

    I do not plan to purchase the refresh if it omits the Optical and Ethernet as I've heard it will. I don't really know what else to say because I know people will attack that, but I love the current design and that's what I plan to get.
    That being said, I know the prices should go down when the line is refreshed.

    However, being that I'm being sort of picky as to wanting that SSD, I haven't found any re sellers that offer the 128 SSD with a 15" model. Heck, for what I'll be doing, basically: Word, surfing, e-mail, little pictures and video here and there, I may not even need the 15". That's another debate I suppose, but I hope to "future-proof" if even a little with the quad-core i7 because this will be my only computer throughout college.

    Anywho, sorry for the terribly long post but I'm stressing over my options and don't want to be left in the cold when the refresh happens. Haha

    Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated,

    P.S. I don't really want to do an SSD install myself nor do I plan to go for refurb. Because my parents are buying, which I appreciate, I don't think they're in favor or either.
  2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020


    Feb 16, 2012
    prices will only go down a bit after the refresh
    the refreshed macs will use less power and run faster
    there will be a usb ethernet adapter
    you can buy an external cd drive very cheap
    get an ssd it will speed up everyday tasks as well as the the pro type things.

    not sure you are going to be future proof, that term is normally used with PC desktops when you can upgrade EVERYTHING, not just a few parts. Its not like your not going to be unable to run the next OSX though, the machine should be good for a few years.

    while you might have you're reasons for the CD drive i would say that you're daft not to wait for the update.
  3. Laco macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2008
    I would wait for the refresh. The elimination of the optical drive and ethernet, may be true, but they are still rumors and you may like what is released. Also once the newer models are released you may still be able to buy the older models at Best Buy- I could be wrong about this.
  4. MSeyman, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

    MSeyman thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2012
    I knew this was going to happen... Haha

    Whether people agree or not, I do not think I'll be going for the refresh.

    All I am asking is what my options are as far as SSDs in the 15" and where to find customized models once the refresh does happen and the prices go down.


Share This Page