Quick Question/Malware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lorelai, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Lorelai macrumors member

I was looking something up using the Google News/Blog search and clicked on a link that looked good in the summary, but when I got to the site, it was just a bunch of ads. I googled the address and got the Malware Warning from Google. Did I accidentally do something to my brother's computer? (MBP Mac OSX 10.4.11)

The site was "www.end-of-days.org"

Thanks! :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably not, its almost certainly Windows only malware.

3. Lorelai thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks :) It just made me nervous since I was using his computer and not my own.

How would one go about checking their computer for malware? Do you have to actually download something to infect your computer or can you just stumble across it while surfing? I've never even worried about it since I only use Macs, but now I'm curious. :)

Anyway, thanks, again!

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

don't worry about malware/spyware/viruses...
    thats why your brother is a mac user.

5. Lorelai thread starter macrumors member

Just one of the many reasons why we love Macs :D The first "real" computer our family ever purchased was a Mac... almost 20 years later, we are still, exclusively, a Mac family. :)

My brother is so protective of his MBP, that I'm surprised he let me use it. ;) When I saw the Google malware warning, I was so afraid I'd gotten his computer infected with some sort of evil program that was going to swipe his personal/credit info the next time he logged on to do his banking. :eek:

I appreciate the help! Thanks, again! :)

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Just to make sure you don't get the wrong impression while there currently are no viruses for OS X that doesn't mean there won't ever be any (there is some malware, such as a quicktime "codec" that messes up your dns entries). It's always a good idea to be aware, as you were. So just have your firewall up, don't go downloading random stuff from random sites, and be aware.

7. Lorelai thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I try to be very cautious about where I go on the internet. I only clicked on the link because it looked like an article I could use in my research paper. Once I saw the site, I closed the window and Googled to try and figure out what the site was.

Thanks, again! :)