Quick Question on 3g Antenna

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pili, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Pili macrumors regular

Just a quick question, i tried searching but i couldn't find it. If I leave 3g on and are in a 3g area then travel to an area with only EDGE and the iphone switches automatically to edge...will the iphone turn off the 3g antenna to preserve battery life? Otherwise should i go into settings and turn it off manually if i know im in an area without 3g? Thanks.

2. kevo0822 macrumors regular

TBH, I don't really know whether or not the 3G antenna is turned off, but it would seem to me like it would remain on. This way, the phone would be able to detect a 3G network if you entered a 3G area... That's my logic at least... no proof to back it up though.

3. Pili thread starter macrumors regular

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

Unless you turn off 3g or go into Airplane mode, it would have to listen on the 3G antenna to see if there's 3g service available. Good news is listening on the antenna isn't as power draining as transmitting on 3G.

5. larrymarshall2 macrumors member

I agree, but I feel as though searching for 3G may, over the course of the day, lower the battery overall...say...10% less throughout the day of searching.

In chicago, even tho the 3G is perfect, the surf speeds are the same and even in standby my battery is at 20% after 6hrs of use. Today, I used only edge and it was at 20% after 10 hours of use. By use I mean off and on web browsing, about 4 hrs standby, AOL IM, and with screen brightness actually high at about 80%.