Quick question on album artwork

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JulianL, Aug 14, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm fairly new to the iDevice world and about to put my first music on my iPhone 4. On my home system I keep my albums in directories and I can also have a file called "folder.jpg" (or "cover.jpg") in the same folder and that will then be automatically taken as the the cover art for every track in that album.

Am I correct in thinking that there is no such feature in iTunes/iPod/iPhone (they don't really have a concept of directories so it's hard to see how it would be implemented) so for my music in iTunes I need to add an individual copy of the cover art into each track?

I know how to do this in iTunes but I thought I'd check first because at the moment the cover art for a 12 track CD takes up about 25kB of space (the size of the single folder.jpg file) whereas in iTunes it will take 25kB for each track, i.e. about 300kB for the cover art for the album. I just want to make sure this is the only option before chewing up this extra space for every album I transfer.

- Julian

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Just get the 600x600 covers from iTunes. They look beautiful on the iPhone 4. All you do is highlight your album, click Get Album Artwork, then Get Info and paste the cover art in the cover art option. Then all your covert art is embedded into your tracks.

3. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I don't intend to do any tagging in iTunes though (and I now realise that my saying that I knew how to do it in iTunes was very misleading - sorry).

All my music is purchased on physical CDs and ripped to FLAC on my main PC so that I can get super high quality on my home system. All the tagging is done on my FLAC source files and my plan is to use dbPoweramp to create a shadow folder structure with AAC versions of all my FLAC files, complete with all the tagging inherited from the FLAC source files. I'll then import all those files into iTunes to get them onto my iPhone.

You've answered my question though, artwork does need to be embedded into each track, so what I'll do is use dpPoweramp again to add albumart tags into each of my FLAC files so that each of the generated AAC files will then have the correct cover jpgs in them.

- Julian