Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
When I take a picture with my phone or have camera transfer photo to phone, the photos show up automatically on Apple's Photos in Photos. My question is, that now that it is in Photos, does it automatically back up to my hard drive or do I have to connect my phone or camera to the computer?

Also it use to be Photo Stream would keep the most recent pictures taken "streamed", but now some photos don't show?

Confused....

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
When I take a picture with my phone or have camera transfer photo to phone, the photos show up automatically on Apple's Photos in Photos. My question is, that now that it is in Photos, does it automatically back up to my hard drive or do I have to connect my phone or camera to the computer?

Also it use to be Photo Stream would keep the most recent pictures taken "streamed", but now some photos don't show?

Confused....
If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on the Mac, images will automatically be downloaded to the hard drive. In Photos > Preferences > iCloud you can choose whether those images will be full-resolution, or "optimized" (optimized is a good choice if you have a small SSD). I wouldn't consider this a "backup" - if photos are deleted from the iPhone or at iCloud.com, they'll be deleted from the Mac as well.

If iCloud Photo Library is not enabled on a device, you can still use Photo Stream as always. I have several Macs - one is set for Photo Stream, the other is set for iCloud Photo Library. I consider the machine running Photo Stream to be my backup (and Time Machine backs up the backup).

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
I wouldn't consider this a "backup" - if photos are deleted from the iPhone or at iCloud.com, they'll be deleted from the Mac as well.

So if this is the case, than how do I download photos to my mac and keep them on the hard drive whether I delete photos from iPhone or iCloud?

beachmusic

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
St. George Island
You have to move them to a different Album. After I take a picture with my iPhone I tap on Photos and check to see if I want to keep the pic. If I do I tap on the share icon in the lower lefthand corner of the pic and it brings up "iCloud Photo Sharing". After tapping on this I follow the prompts and the photo appears in the share Album on my desktop version of Photos. After this I move it to another Album I have labeled 2015. I can now delete it from the share album. Kind of rambling but I hope you get the picture.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
So if this is the case, than how do I download photos to my mac and keep them on the hard drive whether I delete photos from iPhone or iCloud?
You can always Export (File > Export). Photos includes a Recently Deleted album (images are kept for 30 days by default), which makes it easy to identify the images you might want to Export. Since there is no "Delete from iPhone" as it's really "Delete everywhere," you might want to do your routine house-cleaning while you're at the Mac. You could first Delete, then go to the Recently Deleted album to identify the items to Export. Once Exported, you could go to Recently Deleted and permanently delete the items (since, like a Trash folder, it's not really a space-savings until you permanently delete).

It might be worthwhile to look into creating an AppleScript to automatically export from that album (can't say whether or not it would work). Time Machine is another way to recover deleted items.

The concept behind Photos' Optimize iPhone Storage option is to let iOS manage space utilization on the iPhone, rather than selectively delete images on your own. If space is needed for other purposes, iOS will delete the least-viewed images from the iPhone, leaving only a thumbnail behind so you can still locate the image. If you choose to view it again, it'll be downloaded from iCloud. Whether this is more space-efficient than deleting manually is hard to say, but the convenience of having an automated process may outweigh questions of absolute space utilization.

Of course, Optimize iPhone Storage doesn't address the desire to reduce the use of paid iCloud storage - it would be nice if Apple added an option to automatically archive deleted images. Maybe Photos 2.0?

Editorial comment: There's really nothing wrong with deleting obvious junk everywhere. Yeah, we all tend to save every image to our HDDs since they don't take up physical space, and you never know what you might want in the future. But we may want to take a page from those artists who destroy their unsuccessful works - is there a point to leaving tens of thousands of mediocre images to our grandchildren? At best, they'll go through the albums created of the better images. Pick the good ones, ditch the worst. The more junk we have lying around, the less likely it is we or anyone else will ever go back and look at it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.