Quick question on brand recognition.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by THX1139, Jan 8, 2010.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Large Medium

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you saw those two words? Do you have any guesses as to what kind of product or services that is? Are you confused? Comments?

I appreciate any answers you can provide to my questions. I'll let this sit for a couple of days to see how many responses I get. Then I'll followup with what it is and why I'm doing it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Supersonic macrumors regular

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Large format print? Above the line advertising?

It's not unambiguous, but if the logo was right and supporting style etc worked, then it could be good. Unless I'm completely off the mark, in which case I'd consider revising :p

/Doug

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Not one thing comes to mind...but two things do.
    Fastfood and Clothing.

As far as product or service, I'm at a complete loss.
    ...and I suppose that depending on a supporting symbol in the logo or a tagline, that could be better clarified.

I'm definitely intrigued at this point though...

5. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

The first thing I thought of were several graphic design studios / internet development studios / motion graphics firms -- a handful which use "medium" as a play on words.

6. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Please tell me it is not describing a fat psychic. :rolleyes:

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

8. rk1228 macrumors member

9. tsd macrumors regular

Interesting

Fascinating. Are you going to respond with what the product/company is? I agree with the above comments: this could be a company name for a large-format print shop, a company that makes big canvas frames for painters, or just a phrase meant to bring the word "small" to mind.

10. moonpixel macrumors newbie

I would say a good name for an advertising agency...

11. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

Not that this was a contest with a prize, but we have a winner. Advertising agency comes in a close second.

It's a somewhat ambiguous play on Media... which is actually short for Medium. Large as in, we do big things - or larger than life. I am hoping to develop the business for consulting (video and motion graphics) and developing content for internet. We might also get into post effects and video for advertising. Need to narrow down the focus but it's always good to start big and pull it back.

The reason I did this test was to see if peoples perception of the two words together was positive or negative before I went any further with development. I also wanted to test whether it was possible to make the connection from Medium to Media. The major issue I'm having is that the name is confusing because some people want to say "Large Media" due to how their brain is programmed to think. If you say "Media", people easily make the connection to video, computer related info, news, etc. When you say "Medium" people think of size of clothing, psychics, or french fries. A strong brand and direct marketing should be able to overcome that. At least I hope. Though, I'm worried that I'll be forever stuck correcting how people pronounce the name.

12. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

Funny! I might be saying that a lot if I don't have success developing my business. :eek:

13. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I am not so sure it is a good thing that I was the "winner"... as you might have noted from the tone of my post, I feel the whole "_____ medium" thing is pretty played out. Adding "Medium" to your name was a bit of a fad about 6 - 7 years ago as a lot of design firms were moving into the internet space.

Have you done a trademark search yet? The reason why I immediately thought about a design firm is that there are several firms that already exist that have similar names. Rare Medium is one. MediumBold is another (although that is also a typographic reference).

Not short. Media, in the traditional art sense, is the pluralized version of medium.

However, in the context in which you are speaking it is probably more appropriate to think of "media" as content and "medium" as the channel through which you will communicate.

I think your general worries are unfounded. As an advertising agency, you do not have to brand yourself to the public. You are not "competing" against McDonalds, etc.

Furthermore, I don't think you need to worry about people mixing up "media" and "medium". As someone who works within this field I see the above two words as fundamentally different elements. Any corporate communications manager who mixes up "media" and "medium" is one you don't want to work for anyway!

If I think back to the Ad agencies that I have worked with in the past, none of them were "publicly branded"... in fact, quite the opposite:

Crispin Porter + Bogusky
    The Barbarian Group
    TBWA\Chiat\Day
    Mullen
    Arnold

"Brand" yourself with good work instead. Get recognized within the community. The rest takes care of itself.

14. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

We'll if you talk about it it's more likely to stick in someones head... also it could help you break the ice with new potential customers.

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

If you're a creative firm, name you're company whatever you so choose.
    No one wants to go to a company named "Creative Designs"

I feel the more "out of the box" the company name is, not only proves your creative and original, but it makes for a more memorable and recognizable name...and a definite ice breaker (as stated above) and makes for a great conversation with your clients and possible future clients.

Good luck with your endeavor. :)

16. ABG macrumors 6502

Agreed - especially if you intend to use the web. Imagine if someone was trying to find you using google. "Large medium" would make you almost impossible to locate. And what would your domain name be?
    Something "out there" - like (pick any random crazy word) Zaapinch might be hard to pronounce but easier to recall and it would give you your domain and make it easier for those who know your name to find you on-line.

IMO :)

17. LeviG macrumors 65816

I didn't think of a brand, I thought of a product - fries.
    The company that sells those didn't come into the picture until I though where should I buy my fries from, then it was mcd's first, followed by burger king - I'm in UK so theres not exactly many to choose from.

18. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

I agree with this too, but picking any crazy word can also be detrimental because it can be seen as contrived or trying too hard to be cool. It is difficult to find a name that is clever, communicates the message of what you do, is not cliche, and is not already being used. Some people just go with their personal name and I think that is valid as a method of branding the individual. However, I also see it as creatively uninspired.

I think the best name would be to bring two separate ideas together to create an original concept. Candy+Mouthwash=Altoids.

19. ABG macrumors 6502

Just to clarify - the crazy word was to provide an example of something unique in the post - not a suggestion for branding process. :eek:

Having gone through a full-on 6 month branding process with Interbrand in the past I was trying to summarise a single premise from that whole process.