Quick question on buying an apple notebook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iamrawr, Jun 2, 2010.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Let's say you have just bought a brand new apple notebook and you're still in the apple store (or traveled to one if you bought one online). If you brought another hard drive (ex. Momentus XT) along with your notebook at the store will they charge you to swap the hard drive? Will they even do it at all?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can swap it yourself, or have them do it. I'm sure they'll charge for it, unless they're doing a favor.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, I believe that their policies do not allow them to do that type of service for you. Really, though, it's fairly trivial, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll just need the right tools (a Phillips #0, and a Torx 6 I think).

jW

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the user manual:

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Nope. However you can do it yourself. Here is a video howto.

6. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Thanks for your replies guys, because I'm pretty scared of messing up the internals or hooking up something wrong. I've never replaced computer hardware before. :D

7. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

They're talking about Apple branded RAM and Hard Drives. They will not install any Third-Party hardware into your machine. Sorry.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, I believe they're simply recommending that you not do it yourself, but take it to an Apple-certified technician. They are not saying, however, that the technicians in their own stores will do it. Many third-party Apple-certified technicians will do that work for you.

Their stores will not, as you said.

jW

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Any internal component you will be messing with will have a specialized connector. So if it fits it is in the correct spot.

On a side note I find it funny when people label the back of computers. With the exception of PS/2 (which is color coded) or the exceedingly rare instance of multiple displays if the cord fits it is in the correct location.

10. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Ohh so you guys are saying that they won't install the Momentus XT for me within the store?

so what if i ask an Apple-certified technician outside the store? is that what apple wants me to do?

11. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Yes, that is the safe thing to do. The new laptops are fairly easy to work on, but if you are not comfortable doing this it is perfectly OK to take it to a third party shop and have the work done.