Quick question on iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ebaydan777, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ebaydan777 macrumors member

Hey guys, quick question

I am not a developer but am thinking about it and ios7 may have made me open my wallet to give it a go.

Problem is, I have an iPhone 5 that I dearly love and will only be testing small things I can start making and dont want to ruin the phone or brick it.

Can I backup my current settings on this phone through iTunes, iOS 6 and all, and install the new iOS 7, go on my merry way, and if something goes wrong or I don't like the iOS, can I simply just recover on that backup I made in iTunes without a worry, or is it not backwards recoverable, as in once iOS 7 is installed, my previous backup of ios 6 and all its settings arent recoverable, or they are?

2. Diastro macrumors member

Diastro

Should be no problem, you can always revert. Best do it with iTunes on your Mac.

But here's an idea, why don't you make a new Apple ID, and sign up to the dev program with that? It will completely separate your personal and dev adventures. ;)

Good luck!

3. ebaydan777 thread starter macrumors member

Ah yes, this is a good point. But how come many people out there are saying you CAN NOT downgrade? why is this, and is this true? I saw this on a few download links, as well as an Apple Genius that I messaged and just got back to me.

And also what are the risks with the $5 UDID shops out there on the net? Any issues of being paperweight'd?

4. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You can't downgrade from Beta versions.

5. ebaydan777 thread starter macrumors member

damn thats a real bummer. If I try and restore what happens, just doesn't allow it?

6. Diastro macrumors member

Diastro

But you could factory reset, right? And then restore a backup?

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

There is a way to do it, but you have to have a copy of an older iOS.

8. ebaydan777 thread starter macrumors member

What if I do pay the $100 and I crap my phone out doing something stupid. If I take it to apple will they replace my phone or is that something that definitely look out for, even if you are a developer?

I want to make the switch but I am afraid that if I lose everything on my phone (since I cant afford to buy 2 just to mess around with) that I wont be able to fix or replace it?

----------

ya what he said^^?