Quick Question on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Casey01, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So I'm pretty new to Macs (But not to computers) and I was hoping on getting one this Holiday season. One of the reasons I'm getting it is because my year in school right now is requiring me to write up a lot of stuff and I don't have much due to volunteering. So I need a notebook that I can type my document and such on and I though "Why not a Macbook?".

So anyways to the point my friends. I have enough money for one of there site. But I was looking around on Newegg.com and I found a black one. Here are the spec:
    OS- OS X10.4 Tiger(I can upgrade to Snow Leopard, no big deal)
    CPU- Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz
    RAM - 2GB
    HDD- 160GB(Don't need much more than this)
    Graphics- Intel GMA950(Can this support Civilization V? the only game I would play on this.)

The cost is $680, so adding Snow Leopard & iLife '11 it would add $80.
    So total is $760
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100101

Yay? or Nay?

P.S Even though I do have enough for one from there website(It'd be just the $999 one.) I want to try to save as much as possible and there are no macbooks in the refurbished area of Apples Store.

2. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

For that price, you're probably better off buying a refurbished white macbook unibody off of Apples Refurb store.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Only problem is there will be no way to play Civ 5. Neither the CPU or GPU will support it.

4. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Well if only Apple puts a refurbished Macbook on there store then I'll probably get that. I haven't seen a macbook there for a while. Only the Air and MBP.

5. bestestever macrumors newbie

gpu wont but cpu will

6. akhbhaat macrumors regular

That's the current (mid 2010) model and that's the best price you'll find for a new one anywhere online (better even than a refurb from Apple, because you probably won't have to pay sales tax).

Still doubt it would run Civ 5 well, but that's neither here nor there.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, Apple has refub MacBooks listed on the store right now, the cheapest is the current model for $849.00. The same as the MacConnection (after rebate deal) that I posted above for a new one.

8. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Nothing wrong with a refurb, but it's definitely better to buy new for the same price.