quick question on the 14 day return policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyzen, Feb 10, 2010.

1. kyzen macrumors regular

Does this 14 day return policy I keep hearing about apply regardless of where you buy your MB/MBP from, or is it only from Apple stores?

Planning to pick up a Macbook this weekend from Microcenter (an authorized retailer) as I have no significant motivation to wait until for the MBP refresh. That said, if there was a refresh within the next 2 weeks, I'd definitely want to take advantage of the option to exchange.

Thanks!

2. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

there might be a restocking fee, im not sure.

3. Falundir macrumors member

14 days is referring to the Apple store, however you will want to speak to a manager directly at any store before you make such a large purchase.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

No it doesn't. It only applies to Apple Store. Anywhere else you purchase from will have their own return time period.

5. bwh318 macrumors newbie

I spoke at some length Apple reps yesterday and the 14 day return policy is an Apple thing. If you go to a reseller they will have their own return policy. One thing to note: all three reps I spoke to said that if you do play the return game, it is up to manager's discretion as to whether or not they will waive the 10% restocking fee. If you play the 14-day gamble from an Apple store just know that according to their policy they *could* still charge you 10%.

6. Falundir macrumors member

I spoke directly to a manager today and explained that I had to buy a laptop today, but am hesitant about buying a mac since a refresh is possible in the next month. I told him that if he would waive a restocking fee I'd buy it on the spot. He refused.

Do not get your hopes up.

7. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You'll have to pay a restocking fee. Apple is pretty firm about it, too.

Habitus :apple:

8. peppercorn78 macrumors newbie

a salesman at one of the manhattan stores told me that if a refresh happens within 14 days of purchasing a mac (causing a price drop on the older stock), they will give you the option of either trading it in for the newer model or taking a store credit for the amount of the price drop.

has anybody else heard this?

also, if i buy a computer in boston, could i theoretically return it to a store in new york (yes i know, i could call apple, just wondering if anyone has any anecdotal experience).

thanks.

9. Ralzy macrumors member

If you or someone you know has a Reward Zone Silver membership with best buy you get 45 days with no restocking fee. Probably the best way to go if you are worried about a refresh soon.

10. smithmax13 macrumors member

Apples does have a 14 day return/exchange policy, but be prepared to pay a 10% restocking fee. There should be no problem returning it to a different apple store than the one you purchased from.

11. peppercorn78 macrumors newbie

thanks. has anyone ever heard of store credit being issued after a price drop? this particular rep said that after a refresh people who have just purchased most often simply opt for store credit in the amount of the price drop rather than trading up for the new model.

12. wschutz macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't have any restocking fee where I am from (Spain), neither where I live (Sweden). At least, there's nothing on Apple Store website neither the terms and conditions mention anything (just that they will fully refund what you paid as long as it is ok -not broken- :D)
    Thank goodness to EU laws and local ones too :p

13. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Thanks, I didn't know that Best Buy even had a Silver Membership with extended returns.

So I logged into my RewardZone account online and turns out I am a silver member.

Never knew.... :)

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

:apple: Apple Store: Sales and Refund Policy: U.S. Consumer: Prices

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change."

15. peppercorn78 macrumors newbie

thanks.