quick question on transferring Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terrymaz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. terrymaz macrumors regular

I just got my mbpr today. Should i set it up from a backup from time capsule or use the migration assistant? Also, if i use the migration assistant, i only have one ethernet line. Which one should i plug in to the hard line if any? Is there a benefit to that or does it not speed things up if only one is connected to ethernet. Thanks for the help.

Terry

2. Andru1313 macrumors regular

Dealling with the same issue. here is what I did at first. Went over Wifi and it was over 41 hours.. So umm yah no.. I plugged in my external drive and did the migration assistant.. I plugged it into my old MBP did the migration assistant let it run..

Then I plugged the external drive into my new rMBP and ran the Migration assistant but used my external drive for the data. 2hours and 41 mins. Connected via USB.

From what I read it will run quicker via ethernet than just wifi. Works well via firewire as well.

3. clumeng macrumors member

What are you migrating from? How big is the backup?

I personally don't like the Time Machine method and prefer to do it a bit manually especially since the HD is smallish and I like to start a new machine with as much space as possible.

Today I just migrated from an iMac (500G HDD that was about 1/2 full) to my rMBP. Best is hard wire transfer (I did it via FireWire) but if you don't have an Ethernet or FW to TB connector you can't do it. Best is to set up one of the macs as a wireless network and connect to it to transfer files.

I reinstalled all my applications manually - took a bit of time but I then knew which apps I really use and get rid of the bloat that accumulates over time.

4. terrymaz thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to try the time capsule. i did order the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter so its hard wired right now. its telling me 16 minutes left but I'm not sure if thats the documents only part. LOL we'll see. ;)

5. crashingsux macrumors newbie

I did the time machine method over thunderbold ethernet adapter to my osx lion time machine server. Ran about 33MB/s, or saturated the usb2 bus so no complaints on speed. I created a new admin account and only transferred my personal account so there were no collisions.

Only ran into a couple hiccups, but there were the sort of thing a non-technical user would have been tearing their hair out over so not exactly wins for Apple there.

First, my dock process was maxing out a single core. The fix was to change my wallpaper and restart my doc process. Seriously. The wallpaper did not migrate, and dock was too dumb to deal with it and just ran full tilt wasting resources until I figured it out. Thanks macrumors forums for the fix.

Second, my photo library shows a bunch of missing photos. I tried restoring from time machine, then again from crashplan. Both had the same effect. Might have been some problem with upgrading to iPhoto11? In the end I ended up exporting my photo library to a new library, deleting all of my photos in my main library, then exporting them from the temporary library back to the main library.

My head spins thinking about trying to talk a family member through this remotely. It wasn't like I did anything fancy. Had a macbook air, used iphoto, backed up through time machine, upgraded to a new macbook pro, using time machine, migration assistant, and the new iphoto. All apple hardware and software yet it was still a very poor upgrade experience.

It worked, but took a lot of wasted time. Just my experience, I have no better method to recommend other than to hope apple addresses some of these issues.

6. terrymaz thread starter macrumors regular

i think most everything transferred over except my photos from Aperture and my music from iTunes. Need to look into that still. Hope thats not a pain. :confused: