Quick Question On When to Charge the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzraider, Feb 14, 2009.

1. blitzraider macrumors member

Okay, this question popped up in my head as I was thinking about my 17MBP (no I am not a fanatic, I was just thinking about setting my room up and making space). Besides, it is the first mac of our family (our school uses OSX though). The situation is like this.

Many people complain about taking the charger around, they say that it is heavy. Considering the weight of the 17 MBP, I think the extra few pounds won't matter. Thus, I will always take the charger with me where I go.

The question is: should I charge it whenever I have an opportunity to full charge it or wait until the battery drains to a low percentage before charging? This concerns me because I want to maximize the battery life on this laptop.

2. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

the best way to maximize the battery life is to keep it plugged in while you can and while not plugged in always let the battery run full cycles. If you are using it on the battery, dont charge it again until its dead - then you go from completely empty to completely full. that tells the battery where the start and finish are and will keep it running longer, longer. :p

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

^^^ What he said

4. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

What I interpret this as is that I should charge it when it drops down to a low level. Thanks.

But then I heard that sometimes you need to calibrate it. Whats the difference of calibration if I always let it drop to low levels before charging?

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

To calibrate it, you should fully charge the battery and then let it drain completely - right the way until the computer switches itself into standby mode.

6. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    That´s not necessary any more. Nowadays, there are only 2 factors affecting battery life: ageing and heat.
    That given, it doesn´t matter when and how you charge your Mac, just keep it away from excessive heat/freeze.

7. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Really, I thought good charging cycles and habits matter alot too