Quick Question on which size of storage to get

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steveo47, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Let me start off by saying ive never had an iphone before. Never used the app store ect. Im planning on getting the Iphone 4 as my first Iphone. Im thinking of getting the 16gb model, but i also plan on going app crazy. Especially with games. Anyways what is the average size of a game? I dont really plan on putting much music on it. But ill likley put a movie or 2 as well as a few hundred pictures. SO is 16gb enough? I dont want run out obviously, but i dont wanna drop 100$ on memory i may not use (money isnt really a huge issue but i dont wanna throw it away)

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Unless you are going to store loads of video and music on your iPhone, 16GB should be more than enough. I have about 50 apps on my 32GB phone and I am using less than 2GB of space. It's amazing how much space that 16GB really is.

3. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

I have a 16GB and have 500 photos and 150 apps on it, along with about 600 songs and one movie (not counting videos taken on the phone.) Still have about 7GB of space free.

4. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

My main concern was apps taking up lots of space.. So really apps only take up 5-10mb max (each)?

5. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

It depends on the app. Some are really small and some are larger ($10 says someone makes a perverted joke out of that). My smallest game is 213kb while my largest game is 216.8mb.

To give you an idea, out of the 168 apps I have:

75 are <5mb
    41 are 5-10mb
    52 are >10mb

6. coasterider macrumors regular

If you are only putting apps on you will have no problem. My 32gb only has 5gigs of space left but I have about 20 movies on it.

7. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

knowing me ill probbably download every single game that is over 200mb. Even then i shouldnt have a problem hey?

8. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Navigation Apps can run 1-2 Gigs, otherwise Apps aren't very space consuming.

9. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

This is probably i better question, which can save all you from answering my dumb questions. All i need is one more dumb one to be answered :). Can i view the app store without an iphone? say on itunes (im a pretty big apple noob). If so i can just look at all teh apps im thinking of getting, and plan the space im going to buy accordingly.

10. Knarl macrumors member

It depends on the app. Yes, you can go to itunes and check out the app store there. It will list the MB each app takes to install. Here's a comparison of some popular games/apps:

Angry Birds - 14.8 MB
    Doodle Jump - 9.5 MB
    Fruit Ninja - 14 MB
    Flight Control - 18.1 MB
    Diner Dash - 12.5 MB
    Plants vs. Zombies - 35.8 MB
    Archetype - 64.4 MB
    Pandora - 2.7 MB
    Shazam - 1.8 MB
    iheartradio - 1.6 MB
    Weather Channel - 7.6 MB

That being said, I have the 16 GB iphone, and have 68 apps, 116 photos, 6 videos, 1,621 songs (8 gigs worth), and I still have 3.1 GBs free. I think you'll be fine.

11. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Yes you can view the app store on iTunes on your computer. But trust me, apps hardly take up any room. I have a 16gb myself and have 234 apps plus a couple videos and a couple hundred songs. I still have 9gb left. It's the music/videos that hoard the storage. Not the apps.

12. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Yes. The App Store is available through iTunes. Just click on iTunes Store in the sidebar to the left and then click App Store on the top.

13. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

okay ill be sure to look. I have a 80gb Ipod video which i will use for music i think. No need to fill up the iphone with all my music if i have an ipod. I was thinking of putting a movie or two on, take a bunch of photos/save my photos onto it and go app crazy. I think 16gb will be big enough. If i find in the first 30 days that i dont have enough room ill return it and buy a 32gb model :). Thanks for all the help!

14. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Don't waste your time with a 16gb model. If you plan on shooting video, the HD video will eat your free space. Get the 32gb version.

15. Sinfire macrumors regular

For your use, 16 GB is a lot. Most games are very small, some of the larger ones may run about 100 MB or so. With movies it depends on how they are encoded. A typical movie will run about 1GB. Pictures are fairly small as well, but that all depends on how they are encoded. Take a look at your pictures and see how big they are. MP3's / songs are about 5 mb a piece.

Since you are planning on going App crazy, you have the option of storing Apps that you don't use offline, and then loading them back on when you plan to use them again.

16. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

This question is only answerable by you.

I had 12 gigs (of a 37 gig library) of music alone on my 3GS. Yes I have an iPod but I rotate that with other genres. I went with the 32gb for the iPhone 4 because I was sick of picking and choosing which pics and songs and apps to have at my every touch.
    Now I have just 3 gigs of music on my i4 (so far) and am adding slowly. I've taken over 100 pics and a dozen vids since launch day. MY thinking was if I can get twice the space for $100 more, then why not. I'll never have to prioritize items now. Too many real things to worry about, that my phones storage shouldn't be, and isn't one of them.

Do what you gotta, but the final factor could be "resale value".

Blonde Buddhist

17. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, like i said money isnt an issue, but i dont want to throw it away. Maybe ill just go for the 32gb model and just put more videos/tv shows on it then i originally planned. I just dont want it to go to waste.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's fine if you're abolsutely sure you'll only be using apps.

Just remember though, the iPhone 4also has a rather nice camera that can take 5MP pictures and 720p video. The pictures are a couple of MB each, but even just a few minutes of video at 720p can be a couple HUNDRED megabytes.

19. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

This iPhone has an HD camera. That takes up a lot of space, especially if you record video.

I would get a TB iPhone if they made one.

20. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

The biggest app I have is Navigon, about 1.5GB. But it is the exception as it has all the mapping data for navigation.

Most apps are very small. You can go crazy with apps on a 16GB phone. Pictures and movies are another thing though. Add up the space needed for everything else you plan to put on the phone, allow about 3-4 GB for apps and if it all takes up less then 14GB , then the smaller phone will be fine.

21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I opted for the 16GB. I also have a 160GB iPod Classic that has my ~50GB of music, and about 11GB of movies on it. So for mass storage, I'm covered.

I figure I'll have a few hundred songs, probably less than a gig, just some of my favorite stuff on it. Maybe a movie or two, but no more than a few at a time, and the rest is for apps, picture storage, and taking movie footage.

To me, the $199 price point for a phone that I will have for the next 2 years is enough. That extra hundred bucks will pay for half of the new iPhone I get in 2012. It's purely psychological for me, but I'd feel way more nervous carrying a 300 dollar phone in my pocket than a 200 dollar one.

If you don't have an iPod as well, and want to keep a lot of music and media on there, go 32GB.

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have 101 apps, they take up 1.01GB of space. Part of that is from TomTom. GPS apps take up a few GBs of space because of the maps.

The iPhone 4 also uploads HD videos by default from your iTunes if you ever watch videos on the phone. You can tell iTunes to sync only SD versions to save space.

23. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Standard rule of memory is to get the maximum that you can afford, then you can't go wrong. The more memory the easier it is to sell later.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

16GB will be fine for most of people. The problem with 32GB is the price. I refuse to give apple 100 dollars more money for only 16GB extra storage. NO WAY. Fix your antenna first.

25. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Storage Space -

If you have it and don't need it, you are good to go.

If you at some point need it and do not have it, you're out of luck.

I sold two iPhone 3Gs models, I can tell you the 32 GB one sold faster and I actually got a little more than the $300 I paid for it.