Quick question on which XP version to buy?

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Central Coast, California
Hi people,

I'm finally gonna get around to installing Windows XP on my MacBook, for the occasional time I'll use it... and need to know:

Can I buy XP Home w/ SP2 OEM version? Or do I need the regular full version?

I'm on a budget as always, so I'm hoping I only need to spend $90 here and not $199. Since places seem to not take any returns on XP discs (I can't blame them I guess), I wanna make sure the OEM version XP Home will in fact work before I go ahead and buy it.

second question - anyone know of any good deals or coupon codes to get XP even cheaper? :)

Thanks a lot!

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
A quick search would have revealed the answer....

Yes, OEM will work just fine. You can often find it for closer to $80.

B

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Central Coast, California
I looked through the first 2 pages and didn't find it so I posted as I was thinking. Didn't even think to use the search function though... Normally I AM really good about that.

Thanks anyhow.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Home OEM is perfect for the occasional dabbler, I doubt you'll need the extra features of pro

EDIT: To use both cores of a dual processor chip you'll need Professional, having said that I have run XP very well on PC's with a lot less guts than a macbook (with only one processor) and they all worked fine (800 mhz duron with 256mb ram, and 333mhz k6 with 256mb ram for instance)