Quick Question - People Familiar With Jailbreaking iPod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ChristopheJD, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

Okay, so I have a quick question regarding a second generation iPod touch. I've already jailbroken my iPod touch (2G) and let's say I want to restore to the original firmware. Do I have to install LibUSB (I forgot if that was the name of the program) again? Or can I just use iTunes (Shift+Restore) to restore the original Apple firmware?

And as a side question, if my iPod goes into a boot cycle, will I need LibUSB to restore in DFU mode? Or can I just restore in DFU without the need of that program?

Thanks.

2. wardev macrumors regular

3. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. :3 So what was really the point of having jailbreaking apps for your computer then?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Because you have to be able to get the iPod's software modified for it to be classed as 'jailbroken'. iTunes can't modify the software and add Cydia or anything, because Apple is 100% against jailbreaking. That's why 3rd party programs (Quickpwn, Pwnagetool, QuickFreedom, redsn0w, etc) have to be used instead.

iTunes just acts as means of getting the software onto the device in some cases (obviously redsn0w and similar hacks don't use iTunes at all), and to take it off as well (that's not what Apple has actually intended with those functions though - the Option+Restore/Shift+Restore methods were intended to restore to legit software that was downloaded direct from Apple's servers rather then via iTunes as opposed to restoring to jailbroken software, just like the Restore button was intended to fix iPods that weren't functioning properly as opposed to wiping a jailbreak).

5. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I think I get it. So the only way to do a clean and thorough uninstall is to use the program you used to install it in the first place?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, no, restoring through iTunes does exactly what it says - it installs a fresh copy of the legit software. What I mean is that while iTunes can be used to remove a jailbreak and to apply the modified (jailbroken) software, it cannot be used to make the jailbroken software itself :)