Quick Question Re: Boot Camp and Gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by naktak, Nov 28, 2012.

1. naktak macrumors member

I plan on getting the new 27" iMac, but plan to boot into OSX with an external SSD. I have two questions:

If I get the standard 1GB HDD (rather than fusion), would I be able to boot into Windows on it?

Secondly, I understand that SSD helps speed up opening up applications among other operations, but would it actually have any impact on gaming once you're in the game playing? So, in other words, would the standard 1GB HDD have any impact on gaming performance? I would be upgrading the graphics card to the 680MX along with the i7.

2. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

The SSD helps load the game and then any in-game level loading. You are correct, it doesn't have any impact on the performance of the game.

3. kaelell macrumors 6502

Just note: A Bootcamp partition on the fusion drive wont be using the SSD drive for your windows install, so wont have any effect on your games

4. naktak thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

I don't want to upgrade to the FD for a couple of reasons. One is that I have a large amount of photographs/videos that I have to access on a quick basis (all on separate SDD's). I don't want Fusion to choose what lies on the SSD and what doesn't. Second, I don't want to pay the $250 upgrade. I already have an SSD on hand to use as a boot drive for OSX.

Given the above setup that I described, would it still be possible to have Boot Camp set up for Windows on the internal 1GB drive while booting OSX from the external SSD?