Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Quick question regarding ETF and moving away

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Does AT&T charge an ETF for someone who is moving permanently out of the country? Do they charge an ETF for each line or just once?

tzag

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Each line and yes they charge you even if you're moving permenantly

Comment

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Yes and Yes.

It's a contract you're breaking -per line- and they'll want their money.
If you don't pay it'll just go on your Credit (Which isn't a good thing)

Comment

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Or you can just move to a different country and not pay ATT anymore ...

Comment

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Just call and ask them.

Here in Canada, I just have to prove that I'm moving to a place where I can't get service (from whatever company I have a contract with) and if I do I don't have to pay anything.

Comment

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Just call and ask them.

Here in Canada, I just have to prove that I'm moving to a place where I can't get service (from whatever company I have a contract with) and if I do I don't have to pay anything.

That's the case here too, but when you're the one canceling (not because of service) you'd have to pay. Telling a company "I'm moving out the country can I cancel for free". . . Isn't going to happen, ever.

If you know for a fact you're not coming back here. . . Like Gen said you could just stop paying them.

Comment

irich25

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
That's the case here too, but when you're the one canceling (not because of service) you'd have to pay. Telling a company "I'm moving out the country can I cancel for free". . . Isn't going to happen, ever.

If you know for a fact you're not coming back here. . . Like Gen said you could just stop paying them.

just don't ask them to cancel and just to transfer your contract to w/e place your moving to?

Comment

jyj

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
according to wiki:
"Credit history usually applies to only one country. "

I can agree with this. When I moved from Canada to the US, my Canadian credit history didn't mean squat. I had NO history and had to start from scratch. (though, my Canadian credit is great!)

Did they change the ETF rules when they increased it? When a family member of mine moved back to Canada and was on my family plan I called about getting the ETF waived and the AT&T CSR (I know...super reliable :rolleyes:) told me that if it were ME moving, as I'm the account holder, and I had proof of relocation then they could waive it. But since it wasn't me, they couldn't do it. This was after speaking with her manger because she wasn't sure. Ymmv and of course my CSR that day could have been spewing nonsense, but it never hurts to call and ask.

Comment

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks guys. I am moving permanently I might come back to visit friends but not live here.

I don't care about my credit, they can fock it up the ying yang.

Comment

arykmax

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I think the person that said if you can prove you are going to somewhere with no coverage, whether it be in or out of the country, they will waive the ETF, is right. That being said, they tend to treat the iPhone differently so you won't know until you ask.

Comment

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Im planning on contacting them after I leave the country when I'm overseas.

can they charge my bank account? or will they just attempt to bill me?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.