Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uncle Sam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
I just bought a PC off of my coworker, and he has left mostly everything on here.

He has an extensive iTunes library, and I was wondering what software I can use to convert the format (.m4a if I'm correct?) to MP3, or .OGG, etc.

Thanks in advance.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it was your music, you could convert iTunes-recognised formats in iTunes, through the Advanced menu. What you convert to will depend upon what format and bitrate you have selected in the Importing section of the iTunes Preferences. Of course, this doesn't apply to DRM music and OGG, let alone music that's not technically yours. :)

Why do you want to convert it though? Going from one compressed format to another will only make the overall quality suffer.

Uncle Sam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
mkrishnan said:
I'll give you more information beyond what MJ posted if you'll give me dibs on any credit card numbers you recover from the machine. :rolleyes:
Deal. :)

In all seriousness, I do not wish to use iTunes Player.

If all else fails, I'll copy down some songs I like, and acquire them later on.

I'm able to "Convert selection to AAC".

What's AAC?

Uncle Sam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Oh, AAC works in Winamp as well...

Eh, whatever. I'll just use MP3.

Thanks folks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Irrespective of which format is better, converting AAC to MP3 will make the songs worse overall as different data is stripped from the tracks. Ideally, I'd leave them as they are. :)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
From my experience in taking classes on Audio compression formats, if you can tell the difference between a 160 AAC and a 160 MP3, you're lying. It is so similar that you would need to do a fast fourier transform on the signal to tell any difference.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
GimmeSlack12 said:
From my experience in taking classes on Audio compression formats, if you can tell the difference between a 160 AAC and a 160 MP3, you're lying. It is so similar that you would need to do a fast fourier transform on the signal to tell any difference.
One thing classes can't teach you is that most can train themselves to hear diferences. I have heard crap at 192kbps, great quality at 128kbps. If anyone tries to tell me that beyond 128kbps there is no difference between AAC, MP3, CD etc, I ignore and just listen to my music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.